Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are many opinions on every lift, but for those who have the AEV 3.5" RS or SC lift which retails for $1700 and $2100 worth the premium over other lifts (teraflex, Rubicon Express, EVO, etc)?

It appears to be well engineered and has some quality components but it's significantly more expensive than other lifts. Their forum has a ton of great customer feedback and I've seen many on this board be pleased with the results, but I'm wondering if its worth the extra $.

My question is, what is the direct competition for this specific lift? Rock Krawler seems like the next highest quality based on what I've read.

I'm a new Jeep owner and want to hear what the seasoned vets who have experience with either system have to say.

I won't be doing more than 10 days of off roading per year, just mostly a second vehicle/weekend car around southern cal. I don't shop at malls so it won't be what's been referred to as a mall crawler. :) My wheel/tire choice will be 35's on 17" wheels.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It really depends on what you expect out of your Jeep and lift; that's why there are so many options. It's not always fair to say one lift is better than the other. They all have their target audience.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would say if your planning on doing more than 75% of your Jeep'n on road go with AEV if less look at other options. I like mine because the geometry and ride is actually better than stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say if your planning on doing more than 75% of your Jeep'n on road go with AEV if less look at other options. I like mine because the geometry and ride is actually better than stock.

Great, thanks. That's what I've read and I've looked beyond peoples comments about drinking the kool aid etc...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
AEV has a business relationship with Chrysler and have positioned themselves in the market as the de facto "official" Wrangler performance company. There are Jeep dealers that are "authorized" AEV dealers, you can order AEV packages through those dealers when you order your jeep, the recent Call of Duty edition featured some AEV parts I believe, AEV was the lone company that was authorized by Chrysler to import a limited number of J8 MilSpecs, etc.

I believe Chrysler has begun to realize how much money they're leaving on the table in this regard, and so we're now seeing "Mopar Offroad Performance" releasing products such as "Mopar" Hemi conversions and the like that they expect will compete with AEV. I expect AEV may find itself falling out of favor in the coming years as Chrysler pulls high end Wrangler performance in-house in this way.

But regardless, right now AEV's current market position is as a provider of high end components with high end prices. AEV knows its reputation, and so prices itself accordingly. It's good stuff, but it's priced as good stuff too.

There are other--lesser known--companies that put out high end components at lower prices. They lack the "name recognition" that AEV brings to the table, however. Clayton, Rock Krawler, TeraFlex, Full Traction, Old Man Emu, etc., all come to mind.

There's nothing wrong with buying AEV stuff. It's high quality and well engineered. Just be aware that you're PAYING a little (and sometimes a lot) extra for the fact that it is "AEV." If you're comfortable with that, then have at it.

·
Registered
583 Posts

I agree..AEV is known IMO as the lift for the best of off road capability while keeping the most stock like on road ride/drive and I believe it does just that.

Other lifts are much better off road but their on road ride/drive is not nearly what the AEV lift provides IMO and experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AEV - well I have the 4.5 RS lift. All I can say is that it's NOT all that and a bag of chips as claimed on the website - and remember most of the people shouting accolades are AEV owners.

If I were to do it all over again, I would strongly consider Rock Krawler or TeraFlex over AEV. Just sayin.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
AEV - well I have the 4.5 RS lift. All I can say is that it's NOT all that and a bag of chips as claimed on the website - and remember most of the people shouting accolades are AEV owners.

If I were to do it all over again, I would strongly consider Rock Krawler or TeraFlex over AEV. Just sayin.
Please share. What problems are you experiencing?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Did AEV install the lift?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What issues have you experienced? Because I may do the 4.5 lift also if I hold off for another month and do both driveshafts as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Terrible caster issue - which to be honest is a function of the Jeep itself not the lift, but AEV would not even discuss what could the be issue. First thing out of their mouts was "it's not our lift". Adjustable control arms would have fixed this - but since AEV uses stock arms, I needed an offset ball joint to remedy. Now - they are aware that this is an issue due to the manufacturing specs of the Jeep but offered no guidance. I called back and told them what I did and their response was "that's what most people do to fix it".

Really though. I have to say after riding in other Jeeps with aforementioned lifts, the AEV is not THAT much better on road. Off road manners are good too, but I have not yet pushed this Jeep to say if it can hold up with the other lifts. I personally do not like the drop brackets and the fact that there are no brake line extensions included with the lift.

I am not saying AEV is a bad lift - not at all. I just don't think that it is above and beyond other reputable lifts out there like many people claim. I think MTH nailed it with his comment.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you use all the components of the lift? I had mine installed at AEV and while I agree I could've went cheaper routes with other lifts. I couldn't be happier with ride qualities. I would agree if your going to be doing extreme offroading the AEV lift isn't for you, but it's not sold as a Rock Crawler lift. It's sold as a expedition vehicle. I bought my AEV lift for it's onroad capabilities with the ability to go offroad.

If your not going to be running 37" tires I'd recommend staying with the 3.5" SC lift.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
strokeZ said:
Terrible caster issue - which to be honest is a function of the Jeep itself not the lift, but AEV would not even discuss what could the be issue. First thing out of their mouts was "it's not our lift". Adjustable control arms would have fixed this - but since AEV uses stock arms, I needed an offset ball joint to remedy. Now - they are aware that this is an issue due to the manufacturing specs of the Jeep but offered no guidance. I called back and told them what I did and their response was "that's what most people do to fix it".

Really though. I have to say after riding in other Jeeps with aforementioned lifts, the AEV is not THAT much better on road. Off road manners are good too, but I have not yet pushed this Jeep to say if it can hold up with the other lifts. I personally do not like the drop brackets and the fact that there are no brake line extensions included with the lift.

I am not saying AEV is a bad lift - not at all. I just don't think that it is above and beyond other reputable lifts out there like many people claim. I think MTH nailed it with his comment.
Camber ? Only way to fix is offset bj's not caster.

AEV's drop brackets out caster in check.

I drove Suebys 3.5" and it drove fantastic on the road.
Maybe I am just comparing to my vibrating rattle trap lol

There is so much more than just "a lift"

Control arms ? How many ? What joints ?
Highsteer ? Etc.
Really can't just jump in a jeep and form an opinion without knowing what's underneath.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'll throw some second hand out there...a buddy of mine has AEV and loves it. It's their 3.5 inch setup. Used to wheel out in the SW before coming east...he got a newer JK and went right back to AEV for his lift. He's been very pleased with the off road capability.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
DJL2 said:
I'll throw some second hand out there...a buddy of mine has AEV and loves it. It's their 3.5 inch setup. Used to wheel out in the SW before coming east...he got a newer JK and went right back to AEV for his lift. He's been very pleased with the off road capability.
I would think travel is lost do to the stock control arms ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OOPs - yes CAMBER. My bad.

Drove a 4" teraflex JKU Rubi and the Rock Krawler 3.5" max travel kit and both were very nice on the road as well. Hey - I actually own an AEV lift so just giving an opposing view to the people on forums that are 100% in love with them and trying to answer OP's original question if it's worth it.

I guess part of it is the frustration to get the camber back in check (almost wrote caster again dammit). After a few months I finally found a shop that fixed the problem but I am disappointed that AEV would not offer any solutions even though they seemed to be well versed in the problem.

I too do not plan on extreme rock crawling but enough to hit the decent trails which is why I ultimately chose AEV. Maybe this all seems contradictory but trying to give an honest end user opinion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know about the AEV but I love the RK max travel I put on mine. It also rides better then stock. I would not trade mine out for anything else at this point. Was thinking about another jeep and I would go back with the exact RK lift I have now.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
strokeZ said:
OOPs - yes CAMBER. My bad.

Drove a 4" teraflex JKU Rubi and the Rock Krawler 3.5" max travel kit and both were very nice on the road as well. Hey - I actually own an AEV lift so just giving an opposing view to the people on forums that are 100% in love with them and trying to answer OP's original question if it's worth it.

I guess part of it is the frustration to get the camber back in check (almost wrote caster again dammit). After a few months I finally found a shop that fixed the problem but I am disappointed that AEV would not offer any solutions even though they seemed to be well versed in the problem.

I too do not plan on extreme rock crawling but enough to hit the decent trails which is why I ultimately chose AEV. Maybe this all seems contradictory but trying to give an honest end user opinion.
Are the axle C's bent ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts