Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t had the time to get under and look at the brake lines from the abs unit — does anyone know how each circuit goes?

I have a sticking caliper piston diagonally (FL AND RR) and wondering if I have two bad calipers or a master cylinder issue…

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Diagonal is something I have Never seen

Given axles have different weight of vehicle and difference in brakes used a diagonal system would not be practical

·
Registered
449 Posts
JKs are individual. It's how they make the brake lock diff feature work. The ABS can control each wheel independently. 2 going at the same time would be pretty strange, but I would still start at the pistons as they are pretty easy to get off and look at.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The flex hoses are also known to collapse internally, not allowing the pressure to release once the brake is applied.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The flex hoses are also known to collapse internally, not allowing the pressure to release once the brake is applied.

yes, same thing happened to me earlier in the summer, albeit on just one caliper. Replaced the rubber hoses with SS and all was well. If youre up there in years, replace and see if that helps. I think I got a set of 4 for like $150, maybe less

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clearly not enough coffee today. I didn't even think about the BLD/ABS system. Had I simply looked at the ABS module that would have become rather clear.

I put Synergy stainless lines on all four corners w/ the Teraflex front brake line anchors and new pads on the rear -- the main culprit was the RR but really 3 of the 4 were binding/sticking. After the stainless lines/pads and a pressure & abs bleed the 2 are still sticking.

The RR's piston boot is cracking and degrading -- I assume that's likely the main issue as these are phenolic (aka plastic) pistons that shouldn't rust. I've tried to unstick them and clean the piston and lube it w/ brake fluid but that sucker just refuses to cooperate.

It's a '14 and lives near the ocean in a harsh environment, so I'm going to put new rotors and calipers on all four corners and do a post-mortem on the seizing calipers. I'll update this thread if I find out anything interesting as I know it's a common issue to many Jeeps.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sounds reasonable. When I put the SS lines on the front a few weeks ago, I replaced the calipers as well. At 125k, they were cheap enough to do both at the same time. At $45 a pop, it would be dumb not to put new ones on at this point. Will do the rear calipers and lines in a few weeks when I get the time.
Rebuilt, not bought!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Don't forget the flex hoses. If you change calipers, rotors and pads, do it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts