Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sell my 6 speed JK and I've already had 3 people tell me they would buy it if it was an automatic.

Are people too lazy these days to drive a manual?

It seems to me like knowing how to drive a manual is a mandatory life skill.

Thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The U.S is one of the few countries that automatic transmission is the norm. In most countries all vehicles are manual including buses/trucks. Although it may be harder to sell some people in the States actively seek manual trans. Good luck with the sell.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Trying to sell a manual transmission to someone who does a lot of city driving would be hard, I know having to constantly upshift and downshift in traffic would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I read an article recently that stated "A manual shift transmission is one of the BEST theft deterrent devices one can have in this day and age"........ROTFFLMFAO

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I've been driving a manual for so long I don't even realize I'm shifting. People are just lazy, and it's been like that for awhile and only getting worse. Most vehicles aren't even offered with manuals anymore.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah I wanted a manual when I bought mine, but the wife really wanted to drive the Jeep as well - so happy wife happy life. My last Wrangler was a manual and I loved it - except as mentioned in the stop/go traffic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I wanted a manual when I bought mine, but the wife really wanted to drive the Jeep as well - so happy wife happy life. My last Wrangler was a manual and I loved it - except as mentioned in the stop/go traffic.
Same here. Although I didn't mind in traffic...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Luckily my wife can drive a manual trans, so it's not an issue for us. It's nice that no one else that I know can drive my JK. :)

I'm one of those people that actively seek vehicles with manual transmissions. We are far and few between, but you'll find people out there who may even pay a premium for a 6 speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Jeep has a manual transmission and I love it but my significant other doesn't much care for it. I was told that " I am going to learn how to drive that Jeep someday!" I told her that I have no problems with that but think you should master the automatic first! For some reason, she didn't see this nearly or at all funny as I did! HA!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an automatic for the first two years of my driving life. Daily has been a manual ever since. Finding a Rubicon with M6 and leather proved to be quite the chore without ordering one. But I managed to find the perfect one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Asked my 18 year old daughter if she wanted to learn to drive a manual. I was even going to let her drive my beloved 2014 jkus. She said no. Looks like a lot of work Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Am retired - just bought a 2015 JKU auto - the Mrs. has to drive it. A lifetime of driving manuals - I really can't adapt to the auto for pavement driving. Somehow going to start saving again and will buy a base JK 6 spd. soft top before I croak. The only other standard shift offered in the U.S. in a light truck is the new Chevy/GMC mid-size and that only in a 4 cyl. base no 4wd and no locking diff. Maybe Toyota or Nissan but don't want to go there. I could go for a 10-20 yr. old used Chevy or Ford SWB, but my experience is that it could end up with a very expensive time-consuming frame off restoration.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm trying to sell my 6 speed JK and I've already had 3 people tell me they would buy it if it was an automatic.

Are people too lazy these days to drive a manual?

It seems to me like knowing how to drive a manual is a mandatory life skill.

Thoughts/opinions?

Yes and it's disgusting. I had to drive 60 miles away to buy my manual...every dealer near me only stocks autos. Such a shame. Just another symptom of America going down the shitter. A country too lazy to drive....must be too hard to drive and text or something with all that pesky shifting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Am retired - just bought a 2015 JKU auto - the Mrs. has to drive it. A lifetime of driving manuals - I really can't adapt to the auto for pavement driving. Somehow going to start saving again and will buy a base JK 6 spd. soft top before I croak. The only other standard shift offered in the U.S. in a light truck is the new Chevy/GMC mid-size and that only in a 4 cyl. base no 4wd and no locking diff. Maybe Toyota or Nissan but don't want to go there. I could go for a 10-20 yr. old used Chevy or Ford SWB, but my experience is that it could end up with a very expensive time-consuming frame off restoration.
Nissan Frontier took away manual in 2014 but brought it back for 2015. Must have got some complaints or dealer feedback that people still wanted it.

I had a 2012 Frontier Pro 4x in 6 speed. I loved that truck but it was a lease that was up and I've always really wanted a wrangler so I bought one. Jeep fanboys tend to shit all over every other off road vehicle as if the jeep is somehow untouchable. I'd bet if you take a Stock Pro4x and Stock wrangler of same msrp and put the same $$ into mods, the truck will go anywhere the jeep will go. There's no law that says you can't put a solid axle on the front of a pro4x and add a locker lol. Sure, a stock rubicon is more capable than a stock pro4x but put $10K in mods in each and I bet you the Frontier will be just as capable.

1 - 20 of 511 Posts