Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as warmer weather is not too far off I'm looking into soft tops, last soft top I had was in my yj and Im alittle behind with them. Is the price for a premium soft top from best top of mopar worth it or am I better just saving like 500 and getting a reg one

·
Registered
570 Posts
Depends on how often you'll actually have it up :)

I live in SoCal so I run mine year round, hard top stays in storage, so I got the Bestop Twill top. It's worth it to me because it is my top!

DISCLAIMER: I have never owned a regal vinyl top but family members have them and I'm glad I went with the twill top.

Also it's important to know that Bestop makes all the Jeep tops. The only difference will be some hardware.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I got the dual top group and am very happy with the soft top. It is currently off for the winter. My buddy has a Trektop NX, and he's scouring Craigslist for the premium top. He's unhappy with the fastback style soft top as you cannot put it all the way down like you can with the OEM top.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also got the dual top group and am very happy with the premium soft top. I think the premium top looks better and it is supposed to be quieter as well. I'm also hoping that the twill material will last longer than the standard top. After one summer, my top still looks brand new.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
When its warmer weather, we hard top guys don't need no bleeding soft top. Bikini, windjammer, deck cover, and I'm happy, like a PIS. If it rains a little bit, all the more fun in Cali with a Jeep. If it gets really bad, time for the hard top to go back on. Soft tops are a pain in the arse, and takes away the fun of having the top off, IMHO. I had a soft top for 15 years, and I had a removable hard top for 17 years, and the hard top is tons more fun, than the soft top. With the hard top, when it is off, it is really off. All that messy hardware of a soft top is a PITA, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea but I need something I can close and open easy. My main concern is since I'm prob gonna only use the soft top from like April to November then the hard top after that that if it's worth the blow the extra cash for a prem top, I wish I had the chance to ride in a jeep with both, anyone ever have a reg top then prem?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yea but I need something I can close and open easy. My main concern is since I'm prob gonna only use the soft top from like April to November then the hard top after that that if it's worth the blow the extra cash for a prem top, I wish I had the chance to ride in a jeep with both, anyone ever have a reg top then prem?
Premium top is definitely quick to put up and down. Even with carefully rolling the windows in velvet blankets, the top can be down in less than 5 minutes. In the event of pop up storms it goes up in less than a minute. The spring assisted tops are really nice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I run the premium soft top all year and I live in really harsh winter condition (Quebec, Canada) and it is worth every penny I paid for it!

Compared to my friend regular soft top
- Easier to put down and put back up
- Radio seems to sound better
- A little more quiet on highway
- In very cold winter days (-30 farenheit and lower), I can easily keep the interior warm enough to remove hats and gloves.
- It looks so much better since the top is a "true black"

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have never used the standard soft top, but from my experience with the premium, it is absolutely worth it. I assumed I would want a hard top at some point. I don't any more. The premium soft top is that good.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Assuming that the nyc in your avatar is New York City.......IMO I wouldn't pay the "extra" but that is only my opinion based on having 3 HTs and 5 STs on 5 different Jeeps.

I would "caution" that it won't be as "safe" as for thefts IMO, something about a SOLID HT deters some elements (crooks) but if they want in or want your JEEP, it doesn't matter what top you have.

Remember the old "leave nothing of value in the JEEP".... FWIW I have always used Bestop or OEM and never been disappointed. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I've had both standard (14' Willys) and premium (15' HR). There is a HUGE difference in the quality of the premium, and imo worth every penny. Get whatever you're comfortable with though, I use mine year round.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assuming that the nyc in your avatar is New York City.......IMO I wouldn't pay the "extra" but that is only my opinion based on having 3 HTs and 5 STs on 5 different Jeeps.

I would "caution" that it won't be as "safe" as for thefts IMO, something about a SOLID HT deters some elements (crooks) but if they want in or want your JEEP, it doesn't matter what top you have.

Remember the old "leave nothing of value in the JEEP".... FWIW I have always used Bestop or OEM and never been disappointed. GOOD LUCK!!!
Lol yeah its not as bad as people think I live out on long island in a nice area no worry bout theifs here and at work I park inside a enclosed parking lot also no worry there. Seems everyone thinks it's worth it maby I'll go with it with a little luck I can get one for cheap

·
Registered
38 Posts
Premium top is definitely worth it in my opinion. I live in a colder climate, so it's not on year round. A buddy has a Trek-type top, he wants a premium one. Quality is much higher in premium top. However, if you're only using it limited times of the year, bet what you want! And make sure to check out the soft top help thread.

·
Registered
772 Posts
FYI - there was someone on WF the other day saying that they tried to install their soft top for the first time, changed their mind, and want to get rid of it. I believe the person was Trout Daddy, or something like that. It might be worth sending a PM.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I was actually making reference to your weather...I think it is very similar to ours here in Indiana...about the "same place" as far as "global position"...but the ocean probably influences your weather more.....anywho...I felt the Premium wasn't NEEDED, not saying it isn't NICER....but I would make sure I got a "quality top". If your Jeep is your DD, it will not be an enjoyable experience if the top doesn't fit "properly".

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was actually making reference to your weather...I think it is very similar to ours here in Indiana...about the "same place" as far as "global position"...but the ocean probably influences your weather more.....anywho...I felt the Premium wasn't NEEDED, not saying it isn't NICER....but I would make sure I got a "quality top". If your Jeep is your DD, it will not be an enjoyable experience if the top doesn't fit "properly".
Lol I here ya we basicly get all the seasons and your right since this is a dd and trail use once or twice a month a quality one would be a better investment, my yj had a soft top but it was old and beat up and man was that thing noisy at like 60 (which was the top speed lol) you couldent here anything so I'm still in the mind set that soft tops are super load and leak lol

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm intrigued in this thread as well. Been researching soft tops since I bought it last May. Definitely NOT running the hardtop again this summer (that sucked)! So...I think I'm set on the Bestop Supertop NX...any reason to not go this route? I plan to put the softtop on and leave it down all summer and only pull it up if caught out in a rainstorm. It's garaged otherwise and not my DD.

Sorry OP for the high jack

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm intrigued in this thread as well. Been researching soft tops since I bought it last May. Definitely NOT running the hardtop again this summer (that sucked)! So...I think I'm set on the Bestop Supertop NX...any reason to not go this route? I plan to put the softtop on and leave it down all summer and only pull it up if caught out in a rainstorm. It's garaged otherwise and not my DD.

Sorry OP for the high jack
No please go for it were both in the same boat lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts