Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new with wranglers here but im looking on buying one. However, wranglers are rare where I live. The best one that I've seen is a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition. It's a 6 cylinder with the 4.2 engine, and it's standard. The wrangler is lifted, and has 32" tires. The current owner replaced several components and put in a performance carburator, performance distribuitor, performance spark plugs and performance spark plug wires. He also put a new cd player and speakers (no subwoofer). the wrangler has no rust, only a bit of surface rust in the hinges that go from the hood to the windshield frame, a tiny spot next to the winshield, and a bit more surface rust under the rear window. The only problems the car has is the oil pan is leaking. He said the mechanic told him it would cost him 40 bucks to fix it. One of the blinker lights is not working, believe is just a wire problem. And the disc brakes are probably scratched. Also, 3 of the tires a a bit worn out and may need replacing soon, but not necesarily right away. He is asking 4000 dollars firm. Is this price about right or might it be too expensive. Oh, milage is 171, 000. Engine sounds great and seems to have no problems whatsoever. Imput GREATLY appreciated cus Im in despperate need of a car. Thank you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
where are you located ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South Texas. Unfortunately for me, hispanic community doesn't believe in wranglers here. ;-) So they do seem to be rare, at least in this part of texas

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
sounds hi to me, you can find a wrangler w/ 4.0 engine for that price and would be much better off, fewer problems. and the little spots of surface rust are probably worse in some areas you can see, look under carpet, behind the rocker panels, rear of frame.

·
Registered
339 Posts
keep looking. You can probably do better without rust, newer model, more reliable. You should not have to settle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i got my yj same as yours with nothing done to it for 1,500 and sank 3 more g's into it and i'm gonna put a 4.0 in mine (these guys convinced me) up here in pa you can get a 98 for that much! i wish i was on here ahead of time.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
^you don't want a tj, you want a mans jeep, a yj:rofl: j/k tj owners

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I have seen around 2 jeeps. One was a 97, and it was going for 7,200. The other one was a 98, 4 cyl. std. for 4,900. It has like a 3-inch rust hole under the driver's door. The floor panels were goners. The soft top had three small holes on it. That one apparently had been mistrated. And besides, I want a man's engine on it. I would like a 97 or higher, but I don't know where I can find one cheap. My limit is 4500 bucks. I'm guessing I might have to settle for a yj if I don't find one.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
you don't settle for a yj, you step up for a yj

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had both a TJ & a YJ. I preferred the YJ. No Air bags - changed the steering wheel and just like the older feel. Just my opinion- If your willing to search around like on E-Bay or Craigslist- you may find one in Texas - Keep watching. The others are correct, you just may have to drive to get it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been looking on ebay, craiglists and local newspapers and nothing lol. I've even looked at the craiglists in san antonio, and Austin. But thanks, I'll keep on looking. hopefully I run into some luck and find something cheaper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That seems high to me for 171k miles. I paid $4k for ours. It's a '95 hardtop (4 cyl) with 98k miles - a couple small rust spots, but no rot through. All floors are 100% solid.

Tires will run you $400+, oil pan gasket more than $40 if you don't do it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts