Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've just taken delivery of my JLU with the tow package (as after market wiring is a pain and costly). Jeep specify a class II hitch (on the order and confirmation). Every web site refers to as Class II having a 1 1/4" hitch so I ordered a 2" hitch to replace it but now I've gone to fit it, the factory hitch seems to be 2". Is that right ? Jeep don't mention size anywhere.

That saves me replacing it, of course...but does "Class" only refer to weight capacity and a class II hitch can be either 2" or 1 1/4"? That now appears to be the case but I'd like it confirmed.

(And the factory one is fixed with the torque of Mjölnir so I couldn't get it off anyway :) )

Thanks.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Line

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yep, factory hitch option is 2" with both four and seven pin connections provided.

Reactions: Bamabww

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, factory hitch option is 2" with both four and seven pin connections provided.
Thanks... so I'm not going crazy :) Yes, the reason I got the tow package, even though I was expecting to have to remove the hitch and replace it was for the wiring harness. Having some workshop pull my car apart (and charge me $500) to install the wiring harness didn't seem like a good plan. Now I have the right hitch and wiring. $849 doesn't get a lot of hardware but saves a lot of bother.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Jeep advertises that the tow package comes with a “class II receiver hitch.” I believe that us a typo. A class 2 hitch is 1 1/4, not 2”. I understand it is certified for class 2 weights, but the receiver is a class 3, which creates confusion when purchasing hitches et al.
I have never seen or heard of a class 2 being 2”. Ever. In fact I just tried Googling to prove me wrong. Nope.
Troy

Reactions: GCAL

·
Registered
678 Posts
JK also had a Class II 2” hitch, this was unchanged for JL
Is it a class II, or a 2”? I do not believe any class II receivers are 2”. If I am mistaken, please enlighten me.
Troy

·
Registered
678 Posts
I guess that is precisely my point. I believe Jeep is incorrectly stating which hitch they are using as no where I have ever heard, including searching the all powerful net, states that a class II is anything but a 1 1/4” receiver. The very term Class II receiver is synonymous with a 1 1/4” size. I think Jeep is installing a class 3 but calling it a class 2 so people wont pull over the rating of a class 2 maybe. Using the larger 2” gives more options for recovery attachments I assume.
It does get confusing. Try calling somewhere like U Haul and telling them u need a class 2 receiver installed to match your current trailer only to show up and have this 2”.
Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts