Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. First, I know CB chatter can be rude, noisy, obnoxious, and plain bothersome, but on the other side, I find it useful for when we are traveling in several vehicles to keep in touch with problems, bathroom stops, where did jeep #4 go, or look at the flying saucer.

With that said, someone has suggested I look at the Midland 75 822 for space saving characteristics, or a boxed unit that will need to be mounted (somewhere).

Does anyone have any experience with the 822 unit and/or suggestions of another unit to consider?

I like the 822 for it's smallness, but I am getting older and all the buttons seams to be another item to tick me off since I am technology disadvantaged.

I saw Cobra makes a small unit also. Is one better than the other and if so, why.

Thanks for the information in advance. I appreciate your knowledge.
WrongWayRex in Texas.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have Cobra 75WXST and it does the job but doesn't reach very far distance. I really only use mine for off-road trips to chat with the rest of the group ("need gas, next exit?" "Need help up there?" Etc.). My husband has a uniden bearcat but that thing is way too high tech for me. More than I'd ever use but it does seem to reach further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
+1 for the Cobra 75WXST. It doesn't have a massive base unit cluttering up your console - just a handset. It works perfectly fine for my purposes.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The Uniden 520 is small, tunes up well and is dirt simple.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I have experience with 2 cb units
My current Uniden 520XL, and my previous Cobra 19 DX IV.

Both are very similar, however, I do prefer the Cobra over the Uniden due to the PA performance. The uniden's PA will transmit incoming transmissions through the PA unless you manually press the mic to talk. The Cobra's PA doesn't transmit incoming transmissions which I prefer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My work truck has a Galaxy DX939 and a pair of Wilson 5000 antennas I can talk to people up close or far away with little to no noise or static. It is great in my work truck when I am driving for hours but I would not run it in the Jeep it is just to big. In the Jeep I have a Uniden CMX760 with a 4 foot firestick it may not have the range of the Galaxy set up but it does the job just fine and is very compact. The only thing I find with the all in the mike units is that you really need a separate speaker to hear clearly

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought the Uniden 520XL and it has done a good job for a no frills simple to setup and operate chi. I mated it with a 3ft Firestick.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I had two Cobra 75's go bad on me in the last three years so now I have a Uniden 520XL that I put in my center arm rest when I'm out wheeling. I put a quick disconnect on it so I don't have to have it in my Jeep 24/7 since I run doorless/topless for 8 months out of the year.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I have found that loaning a couple of handheld family radios to others in your caravan is easier. While I have a CB in my rig, it's pretty rare for most others that don't have a truck or jeep.

They work great for short communications and can also be used on the ski hill. "Hey, I just came out of the trees, meet you at chair xxxx"

·
Registered
818 Posts
I prefer Cobra 29s, but decided it was too big for the Jeep. Bought a Uniden 520, and a nice little console side mount, and it's been fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just installed a 4' firestick antenna to pair with my new midland 75-822. I only use CB on the trail, so I like the portability (easy to remove) of the midland unit. I'm very happy with this setup.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Prefer the standard models. I run a Midland 1001Z, about the same as a Uniden 520. The 822 is not really small, at least what you are holding in your hand. What is small is the speaker, the display, the controls.

Some people like that style, I don't.

See if you can find a CB store (truck stop) so you can actually feel/touch what you are buying.

·
Registered
34,437 Posts
Cobra 75 is a great unit 10 years now and still working great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with a Cobra 18 WX ST II for couple of reasons: weather band, front-facing speaker (for mounting in the dash if desired later), and cost. I also wanted to keep my entire CB project under or as close to $100 as possible.

Many of the smaller CBs that are popular (Uniden 510 ProXL) don't have the weather bands. I like the Cobra 75WXST design (integrated mic and controls) but it didn't fit the budget I set for myself.

My set up:

Cobra 18 WX ST II - $43
Rugged Ridge CB mount - $24
RG58A coax, 18' - $10
Accessories Unlimited AUJ1 stainless antenna mount, fender - $14
Firestik SS-3H heavy duty stainless antenna spring - $12
Firestik 3' tunable antenna - $12

I went $15 over budget but entire set up still less than the cost of just the 75WXST.

Works great (after tuning) and a great back up (or primary) comms when traveling or on the trail. I'm also hold an amateur radio license and have my handheld for alternate comms.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I went with the midland 1001 lwx because I wanted a relatively compact model that had the NOAA weather channels, and I didn't like how all the controls are on the mic on the cobra 75.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
+1 for the handheld Midland 75-822.

It is compact! I keep it tucked away in the center console, ready to be pulled out and plugged in.

I also got the CoolTech tailgate mount Firestick antenna kit and wired it from the tailgate (admittedly, not the best spot for an antenna), and wired it straight to the center console.

The end result is an easy, clean, convenient and secured CB install with a range of about 1/4 mile. You can easily extend the range with a better location for the external antenna.

Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm actually looking at replacing the OE double DIN stereo with a single DIN stereo and installing a CB radio as the second half of the double DIN space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm actually looking at replacing the OE double DIN stereo with a single DIN stereo and installing a CB radio as the second half of the double DIN space.

I'd highly recommend the CB I have (Cobra 18 WX ST II) for your set up. It's DIN size and front-facing speaker work perfectly paired with a DIN stereo unit.

'15 JKUS | Tank

·
Registered
626 Posts

I'd highly recommend the CB I have (Cobra 18 WX ST II) for your set up. It's DIN size and front-facing speaker work perfectly paired with a DIN stereo unit.

'15 JKUS | Tank
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into this one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts