Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sahara (2 door) and the only complaint I have is that fhe nose dips when braking. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard today to avoid hitting the car in front of me and it was scary how much the nose dipped. What can be done to stop this? :confused:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Its normal, all cars nose dive but the wrangler does it more
I was in the same position when I hit the breaks for the first time in my TJ

The only thing you can do is put either a stiffer/progressive spring on the front or stiffer shocks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's lots of spring travel in the Jeep for a reason - offroading. A sports car, it isn't. Gets a little scary in the night when you brake for a deer on the highway and the deer disappears because your lights ending up being pointed more toward the ground.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure about these newer jeeps, but on both TJ's I had, I took out the valve that directs the flow of brake fluid to the front and rear. Even during hard braking the jeeps just stayed flat and kinda squated a bit. After I did mine a couple other guys did there's.
No noticeable loss in braking, just straight and flat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Do not screw with the proportoning valve! Like kjeeper said, get better shocks. That said, without heavy modification to the suspension your not going to stop nose diving completely. Its a non issue anyway. Go out and do about 12 hard stops until your used to it. The JK can even steer well under full braking, it handles very well for its size.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Move engine to cargo area? :D

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
The only actual way to change the brake dive characteristics are to adjust the control arm mounts to provide more anti-dive. You either need more vertical separation at the frame end or less at the axle. It's easier to make changes to the frame end.

This parameter is called anti-dive and is the inverse of anti-squat. Research it, fun stuff. When I built my 3 link suspension for my TJ, I intentionally dialed in a fair bit of anti-dive to keep the nose from diving much under hard braking.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Do not screw with the proportoning valve! Like kjeeper said, get better shocks. That said, without heavy modification to the suspension your not going to stop nose diving completely. Its a non issue anyway. Go out and do about 12 hard stops until your used to it. The JK can even steer well under full braking, it handles very well for its size.
X2. I heartily agree with not messing around with the proportioning valve. Its there for a reason. Better shocks will make a difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only actual way to change the brake dive characteristics are to adjust the control arm mounts to provide more anti-dive. You either need more vertical separation at the frame end or less at the axle. It's easier to make changes to the frame end.

This parameter is called anti-dive and is the inverse of anti-squat. Research it, fun stuff. When I built my 3 link suspension for my TJ, I intentionally dialed in a fair bit of anti-dive to keep the nose from diving much under hard braking.
That's exactly what I was going to say.:D

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Prop valve--NO

Better shocks will help but it's not fixing the root of the cause. Brake hard enough and the nose will dive just as hard as it did before. Shock valving and spring rates can only do so much before you get to the point of being far too stiff for your vehicle. If you really want to address the issue, learn about link suspension geometry and get to work.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts