Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, new to the forums, and about to be new to Jeeps. My bro loves his, has a newer Grand Cherokee, but I've always loved Wranglers, and am looking at picking one up, somewhere around an early to late 90's jeep.

I understand they're not a Prius, and thank God because I think they're just plain ugly, but I've heard from numerous friends that automatics either get bad gas mileage, or other's saying it doesn't matter. One guy I talked to has 300,000+ on his automatic YJ, and plans on keeping it for as long as he can because he was saying how hard they are to find. So is there a difference between the two?

Also, on a side note, anything major I should look for as a red flag, or just treat it like any normal car when trying to spot problems?

·
Registered
568 Posts
the auto are a little worse on gas. I have an auto and I don't get any worse gas mileage then the newer jeeps. the manual jeeps are more fun to drive though, everyone on hear will tell you to get a manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gears in a manual don't allow slip like an auto so the autos are typically slightly less efficient. Not much of a difference though, maybe 1-2 MPG at worst from my experience.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I love my 87 automatic. I won't have a standard wrangler unless its a four banger

·
Registered
925 Posts
mmmmm dunno about the other guys but my buddy that owns a 93 YJ Auto 4.0L gets about 14-15mpg with 210/75/15s and stock axles

I have 220/75/15s, stock everything, 4.0L and I consistently get 20+ mpg if it is daily driving and 17mpg if I'm 4WD.

Last few fillups:

17.86 mpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as I'm not getting around 12 or 13 mpg, I'm cool with that. I think that's around what my bro's getting, but he has a V8 in his.

Might actually look at one today. A '98 auto with 140,000. 5,500 and seems to be in good condition. Is there a certain amount of miles you'd say to just not look at? I know a few jeep guys said rust issues are one of the bigger ones to look out for as far as other problems. Can't wait to get one a drive with the top down.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My '87 with the 4.2, 33s, 6 inch of lift, 3.07 gears and auto gets about 15-17 Mpg with the stock carb my 91 got around 18-20 but that was all stock and manual

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you are serious about buying a jeep, just forget about fuel efficiency. That is not one of their strong suits. Just know its probably gonna guzzle gas. So what, it's fun to drive!! Besides soon after you buy it you will want to start modding it, and most of those will decrease your MPG.

The auto should get slightly lower miles to the gallon. Assuming that the maintenance has been done properly. That's a big assumption on a 25 yr old vehicle. I'd make the decision based on what you prefer to drive. Especially if its gonna be a daily driver.

As for buying, rust is the number 1 issue you should be concerned with. Inspect the frame VERY carefully. Especially where the shackle mounts are. Look in the wheel wells, there are a few holes punched in the frame that are notorious for rotting out. Look under all of the carpets in the cab, especially where the seat belts and roll bar mount. The floor pans rot out too. Check the brake lines for rot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm definitely not expecting anything spectacular, it's not a car, so I don't expect 25+ MPG.

Most likely going to be a daily driver. Honestly I can drive either, and live out in the country, so one's not going to be more of a problem that the other. I was just curious about the auto's because for the YJ especially, to some of the TJ's, auto's seem to be few and far between, and the ones that are out there, get scooped up quickly.

And thanks for the advice on the rust. Didn't even get a chance to get the one I saw yesterday. Called this morning and was scooped up immediately. Just got put up for sale the night before lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As for mileage, I'm told that the 2.5's only go about 250,000 before they crap out. The 4.0's and 4.2's can expect about twice that if maintained well.

Just what I've been told, not actual experience.

I've also heard the summer is a bad time to buy price wise. Everyone wants a Jeep come summer time. Drives prices up.

I just bought a 1990 4.2 automatic with about 118,000 on it for $2,500 in March. He was askin $3500. It was already lifted and sitting on 33's. The steering has a lot of play in it. Guy had bought it for his daughter, she couldn't handle it. It does get pretty squirrelly on the highway.

I haven't really checked my MPG otherwise I'd post my figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts