Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fully disassembled a full metal door? I want to replace all the window seals on my doors and weld up the cracks. My plan is to pull all the windows out and gut the doors.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yeah did that and then left them for a year before I got then welded and painted. I have no idea where there is a thread on the "How To". What I did was removed the door panels and only disassembled one at a time using the assembled as the guide for reassembly. It is a little intense but really not that cosmic. I did pput a few parts in aand had to disassemble again because I didn't remember the order but it was a learning process. But take it apart. A few tips below

The outer door handles have some wedges helping hold them in place
The linkage rods have plastic clips that help hold everything together you can get replacements at the help section in O'reillys or AZ they come mixed in a package in many colors but they work.
The seals for all areas taake a little patience and may need to be trimmed to fit but make sure you stretch on the install and then maake sure it will stay in place before you trim it off.

If youhave any issues PM to me and just take your time one at a time and should be good to go. No real special tools required. I left the doors on the hinges and adjusted the stop strap to a comfortable position.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I've been running into the problem my door wont latch. I have to pull on the inside door handle a couple times so it'll latch.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It could be the mechanism is bound up with crap over the years and you may just have to remove it keeping it assembled and see if you can clean it with some solvent. Brakecleen is the best it is a dry cleaning solvent with no crappy residue after you use it. Then spray some kind of a lubricant in there reinstall and see if it wants too latch and unlatch. Also the door may need to be abjusted on the striker see if it is dragging when closing. Should line up cleanly and then move the latching mechanism closed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what Im looking for thanks

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Jokerandthief great link to great thread THANKS!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts