Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone make a locking gas cap for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport and if so, how about an internet link?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Does someone make a locking gas cap for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport and if so, how about an internet link?

Thanks...
If you live in a cold climate, make sure you regularly put some WD40, graphite or silicon in it to keep the lock from freezing. Some peeps have installed them and had the lock crap out on em. I imagine that ain't a pretty sight. :D

Jeep Gas Cap and Fuel Door for Wrangler

Jeep Fuel Doors, Fuel Caps, & Accessories for your Jeep Wrangler JK & JK Unlimited

You can also get em at Quadratec, but I'm leaving that one for you. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
kbwwolf said:
If you live in a cold climate, make sure you regularly put some WD40, graphite or silicon in it to keep the lock from freezing. Some peeps have installed them and had the lock crap out on em. I imagine that ain't a pretty sight. :D

Jeep Fuel Doors, Fuel Caps, & Accessories for your Jeep Wrangler JK & JK Unlimited

This-^^

Or make sure there is a large rock near by :whistling:

Trust me- u don't need the key :D

·
Registered
76 Posts

This is exactly what happened to me. I purchased the Rugged Ridge 11229.03 Black Stainless Steel Locking Fuel Door Cover and hate it. After only one use, the key would go in but then not turn.

Took me 15 minutes to finally get it to turn. WD40 fixed the problem but you have to keep it lubricated. Additionally, the key actually goes in both ways, but it will only unlock if inserted the correct way. So if it's dark and you accidentally put the key in the wrong way, you'll spend 15 minutes thinking it's stuck again when you just have it in upside-down.

Needless to say, I do not recommend the Rugged Ridge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

I didn't know if an "ordinary" cap would work since everything seem to be connected to the OBDI. I'd hate to be driving around with a check engine light because of this.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got mine from Pep Boys for $15 the day I bought the Jeep......

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question but...

What is the better buy, locking cap or locking door? What is recommended?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question but...

What is the better buy, locking cap or locking door? What is recommended?
Whichever you prefer. Whichever's cheaper, and looks better. There's probably at least a dozen possibilities out there.

I recommend not using either, personally. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Securing my new jeep spare and gas

Hi, I just bought my first jeep and I need to make it more secure.

I'm worried someone will take my spare and possibly siphon out gas at today's prices.

Did anyone have good results with a locking gas door? I see a few different kinds on quadratic, and lots of different prices. I'd like a quality door that will last a while.

I'm not sure which is a good buy. Same question on locking down my spare. I have a 2012 unlimited if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I would definitely get locking lug nuts all the way around, but the locking gas cap isn't necessary. If someone wants to get your gas they will.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hi, I just bought my first jeep and I need to make it more secure.

I'm worried someone will take my spare and possibly siphon out gas at today's prices.

Did anyone have good results with a locking gas door? I see a few different kinds on quadratic, and lots of different prices. I'd like a quality door that will last a while.

I'm not sure which is a good buy. Same question on locking down my spare. I have a 2012 unlimited if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

For your spare (and even your other 4 tires) you can get locking lugs from the dealer, though I'm not sure if they'll sell you just one. Might have to buy a set of 5.

You can also buy a set of five here: Amazon.com: Jeep Wrangler 2007-2012 Wheel Lock Lug Nuts Mopar OEM: Automotive

Some dealers include them with the Jeep. Here's a photo of what one looks like (lower left, with the star shape):

View attachment 104642

As for locking gas doors/gas caps, here are some links:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wheel lock lug nuts should have been included when you bought your Jeep unless some dealers do not include it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
VaderJK12 said:
Wheel lock lug nuts should have been included when you bought your Jeep unless some dealers do not include it.
Sadly no my beloved rubi did not include locking lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sadly no my beloved rubi did not include locking lug nuts.
Sorry to hear that. kbwwolf posted a good link. Check it out.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm using a Stant locking gas cap - never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Whichever you prefer. Whichever's cheaper, and looks better. There's probably at least a dozen possibilities out there.

I recommend not using either, personally. :)
That's the thing, so many of them lol do not get either? I've read a few members are against them. What are the reasons?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts