Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Get bigger tires. After calibration I'm getting ~15-16mpg around town because at 40 the engine is barely turning over.

Highway mileage is also 15-16 :p

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Be light on the skinny pedal. I get 15 right now and I am on 37's

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree. I think driving habits have the most affect on fuel economy. I know with our Ram 2500, I would average at least 2 MPG more than when my son is driving.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
There was a guy on here a few days ago that said his new Banks cold air intake gave him 2 or 3 more mpg. No idea whether that's true or not.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Depends on your driving and how you drive. Using a OBDII gauge (like https://www.scangauge.com/ or https://ultra-gauge.com/) if you look at your average fuel consumption it dips a lot every time you accelerate from a light, and then comes back up if you coast to the next stop. If you are one of those people that stays on the gas and then switches to braking hard, you fuel consumption is going to be a lot more.
Likewise 45mph highways without stops are great; 1/8 mile stoplights are not good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try more PSI in your tires. Be easy when starting off.

Reactions: Saskie34

·
Registered
194 Posts
My mileage dipped below 15 mpg because I press the loud pedal longer to hear my new axle-back muffler. Don't buy a new exhaust if u enjoy listening to ear candy, lol. My rig is otherwise stock.
Cheers/b

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Try more PSI in your tires. Be easy when starting off.
I recently tried this to see if it would make a difference... I pumped my tires up 15 PSI more than the door jamb recommended (50 PSI vs 35 PSI). I drove this way for a couple of weeks and ran through a couple of tanks of gas.

It made no noticeable difference in fuel mileage but the ride was TERRIBLE. On some rough roads, I had to keep my teeth clenched so no fillings would fall out. :)

Even if over-inflating did improve mileage I wouldn't do it. I can't put up with the bone jarring ride that the higher pressures produce.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I recently tried this to see if it would make a difference... I pumped my tires up 15 PSI more than the door jamb recommended (50 PSI vs 35 PSI). I drove this way for a couple of weeks and ran through a couple of tanks of gas.

It made no noticeable difference in fuel mileage but the ride was TERRIBLE. On some rough roads, I had to keep my teeth clenched so no fillings would fall out. :)

Even if over-inflating did improve mileage I wouldn't do it. I can't put up with the bone jarring ride that the higher pressures produce.
Over inflating doesn't help that much, but correcting an under inflated tire helps tremendously. Huge improvement.. but you have to have that problem to enjoy the fix. 100% agree about the ride quality suffering. Ugh.

There's a technique that really does work: Drive like you have no brakes. You basically accelerate slower and decelerate/coast rather than brake. I don't like my driving habits to screw up other people, so I don't do it that often, but it works. You do still brake when you need to, but you plan ahead differently.

I get about 16.5MPG with swift city/highway driving. I can push it to 17.5 if I'm a tad careful. Over 18 if I'm really cautious. City driving and driving over 65MPH are the big MPG killers, I've found.

I just did 800 miles in the white Mountains, with brief stops in Boston at either end of the week. I got almost 20MPG for the week, which also included a drive up Mt Washington.
That said.. it's satisfying to blow out of a stop sign/red light sometimes. And sometimes you need to do it to merge, etc..

·
Registered
123 Posts
From 28 psi to 36 psi makes a 2mpg difference on the Highway.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I know with our Ram 2500, I would average at least 2 MPG more than when my son is driving.
If I let my kid drive it, I think I would only get 2 MPG. :D

Reactions: Phynal and Wandell

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I route myself to and from work avoiding as many stops as possible. I'll use less fuel driving 3 or 4 miles farther. I also rarely get to go over 50 mph.
With summer fuel I'm getting just under 18 mpg these days and just over 16 with the winter blend.
Manual trans, 33s, 3.73s, bumper/winch for weight.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I route myself to and from work avoiding as many stops as possible. I'll use less fuel driving 3 or 4 miles farther. I also rarely get to go over 50 mph.
With summer fuel I'm getting just under 18 mpg these days and just over 16 with the winter blend.
Manual trans, 33s, 3.73s, bumper/winch for weight.
I have almost the same setup (no winch) and average about the same as you. Funny thing is, I switch out my tires for the summer (put the factory 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler back on) and my mileage goes to over 20.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Depends on your driving and how you drive. Using a OBDII gauge (like https://www.scangauge.com/ or https://ultra-gauge.com/) if you look at your average fuel consumption it dips a lot every time you accelerate from a light, and then comes back up if you coast to the next stop. If you are one of those people that stays on the gas and then switches to braking hard, you fuel consumption is going to be a lot more.
Likewise 45mph highways without stops are great; 1/8 mile stoplights are not good.
This!

I use an OBD II adapter and an app called Dash that yells at me when I don't drive like I'm trying to stop climate change. Pair it with higher PSI in the tires, and just not being in a hurry (I drive like a grandpa now days), things work out pretty well in town.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Drive as if there is an egg behind BOTH the gas pedal and the brake..... bout the best advice for "city" mpgs I can give.
Highway is a different animal but that wasn't the question.

(seems like a rash of MPG threads lately.....)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts