Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shipping my Jeep off, and plan on having it for many years, so I am trying to protect it as much as possible. The place it's going to reside at has a lot of beach sand and tons of fine dusty red dirt. I want to protect it as much as possible from that.

I am not interested in power gains, but if I get some, great. Just mainly interested in an even better filter, if there is such a thing. I've heard about the Volant CAI being better than stock, but want to hear if that's true, or if there is also anything better.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're looking for the best possible dust and sand filter, a snorkel prefilter of some kind would be ideal. Look into the bowl style ones that you see African and Australian vehicles run. They swirl the air like a Dyson vacuum and spin the dust out of it before delivering to it the regular air intake and filter.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Any CAI is generally going to filter worse than OEM. Our airbox is actually designed very well. An OEM style filter is going to be your best bet. Myself and many others prefer WIX, but really they all should do just fine. Dont fall for the K&N drop in.

My jeep spends its entire life driving in literal dust clouds. OEM does just fine. I eventually had to go with a CAI due to space constraints with my power steering system.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Factory air box with a Wix.

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
Actually the Volant CAI with the Donaldson PowerCore filter is about as good as it gets but it comes at a price. These are the same filter that are used in Duramax diesels and in the LS3 Corvettes.

$300 or so for your initial investment and then $90 a shot to change filter. Now if you live in the city and never saw the dust it is a 100,000 mile filter. On the other hand if you do see the dust life is about half that.

I have been running this setup since the day I bought my Jeep. I really believe in this filter but I just swapped back to stock. While the Donaldson may filter slightly better it cost 8-9 times more than stock and that is not counting the initial investment. I figure I can change the stock filter every 5K the same time I change my oil and rotate tires and have basically the same filtration and better performance over all.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If there is such a thing, it would be more expensive. My Jeep breathe dust literally every weekend being I'm in Socal, and i take her out almost every weekend, I bought mine used with 30k miles, currently at 100k miles, and on my 3rd paper style air filter, zero issues, and I've only spent $40 on air filters so far, how much better is better?

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
If there is such a thing, it would be more expensive. My Jeep breathe dust literally every weekend being I'm in Socal, and i take her out almost every weekend, I bought mine used with 30k miles, currently at 100k miles, and on my 3rd paper style air filter, zero issues, and I've only spent $40 on air filters so far, how much better is better?
Only about 1% better on efficiency (cleaning ability) but they hold 3 times as much dirt. That makes a huge difference in commercial use where down time is losing money but for us it is just more cost effective to run the stock cleaner and change it often.

Reactions: rsmwrangler

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm heading to the dealership right now to pick up a new factory filter. I appreciate the advice?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts