Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone out there have any tips? cold air intake? etc? i have to drive up hills every day and would love a bit more climbing power! thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
What engine? Cause most you can do for that budget is header, TB spacer (big debate here on this forum if they help) 4.0 TB if you have the 2.5l. Here isn't much for a little budget.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The only increase I felt is with Borla headers and cat back. This is on a 4.0

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've probably installed most of the talked about options to my 2.5l engine. 4 port injectors, 4.0 throttle body, cold air intake. I did this with budget in mind and purchased most parts use. I also started with a rebuilt engine, I don't know if it added very much to overall performance. It may be a little bit crisper in response and maybe a bit more pull once it goes past 4k rpm. If I had to buy everything new, I wouldn't do it. It took a little time searching around on craigslist, ebay, and the jeep forums but it was fun for me to install everything and get it working. I'm happy with the 2.5 the way it is. One other thing I did strictly for when we're out on the trails is I installed an inertia ring on the flywheel. Big improvement in low end climbing ability!

So if you got the time and can find deals on the parts, go for it.

good luck

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
93 yj 4.0.... just replaced fuel filler today (which sucked bad) !!!! cleaned iac valve and throttle body last week... cold air intake? im mainly looking for a few horses while climbing the never ending hills where i live...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
climbing the passes around here i go over 3k rpms... something to consider? sucks having to go 45 mph up those hills... recommend?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
A few horses won't make much a difference in climbing hills, you need to switch to the right gears.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is the third suggestion this dude has gotten about changing gears! 2 from me and one from you express! When is he gonna give in, it's a Jeep dude not a Ferrari.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you really want something that'll flatten out those hills, save up for forced induction, or more cubic inches. I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lower gears are probably the best way to get more power to the ground. But for less than $200 you have few options. Best option is probably to install a flex fan or an electric fan. Should get you 5-10hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what gears would you recommend for a 2.5 yj? im running 31x10.5 15s i have a cai and and a throttle body spacer. im thinking about a header and i have already eliminated the cat

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm running 4.56 with 33X12.50 and the 2.5, TB spacer, and header.it works and i can go about 60-65. I wish I had went with 4.88. But get some other feed back before you pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts