Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my TJ, I was told it had chromoly axels. I've pulled them out and didn't see any stickers or markings. I know at least one has been replaced because I found leftover carnage in the diff housing. Any way to tell which, if any, are chromoly?

Organism Plant Insect

Tree Plant Plant stem Trunk Fence

Auto part Brass Wheel Metal Hardware accessory

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
well, I haven't dealt much with the chromolly axles and don't know if they're marked differently, but as a melter in a foundry if take it into work and spark it in a spectrograph. I guarantee you wont find one at an auto parts store, ours is a $200,000 machine.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
If the outside of the hub flange, the part that shows through a wheel hub opening, is plain without some kind of a manufacturer's logo on it, I doubt it is chromolly. Manufacturers of high-zoot alloy/chromolly axle shafts are proud of their stuff and tend to put their logos on the hub so it can be seen when the wheel is mounted.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Manufacturers of high-zoot alloy/chromolly axle shafts are proud of their stuff and tend to put their logos on the hub so it can be seen when the wheel is mounted.
That's very true. But sometimes that glued-on medallion doesn't even survive the act of pressing the bearings onto the shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
When I bought my TJ, I was told it had chromoly axels. I've pulled them out and didn't see any stickers or markings. I know at least one has been replaced because I found leftover carnage in the diff housing. Any way to tell which, if any, are chromoly?

View attachment 168647

View attachment 168649

View attachment 168650
I will almost bet good money that the pieces are from a chrome-molly axle due to the way they shattered and the complete axle isn't due to it having rolled splines similar to factory.

Purely a guess, educated, but still a guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts