Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: please, this is a question about the presence of such glass and not a question about a discussion about it's usefulness.

So my question:

I don't have any JL/JLU and just curious if the side glass on JL/JLU is laminated (e.g. I heard the Grand Cherokee has it).

There is supposed to be an INFO TAG in the lower rear corner of the front side windows (so in the corner area of the door handle) and that TAG should read among it contents "LAMINATED".

It should look something like this:

In addition, if you lower the window a bit, a laminated type glass should be visible by the edge of such glass, which should be visibly made of 2x pieces (2x glass next to eachother).

Many thanks in advance,

Also as a bonus, it would be interesting to see if the Dodge Ram has it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for checking and for the picture.

This is interesting, because to my best knowledge after 2018, laminated side windows are required per law.

However it is also my understanding that car manufacturers were sort of able to get 'credit' towards delaying with compliance, if they had implemented laminated side glass ahead of schedule on some of their model vehicles.

For example on the Grand Cherokee laminated side glass was available as early as 2016, maybe even earlier. So that should give FCA some 'credit'.

I see why Jeep would not change glass design to laminated on the outgoing 2018 version of their JK's and make laminated side glass for the last few units of the production, but I'm surprised that the new JL line does not have it yet.

I'm interested in this because it is the result of my lengthy internet search and my firm understanding, that the laminate that is used within the glass has the friendly byproduct properties of blocking nearly all of cancer causing UVA rays, which regular clear glass fails to accomplish (regular clear glass primarily blocks UVB). The laminate material that is used apparently also blocks heat and most notably interior fading.

Anyhow, so much as background information. And thanks again for checking!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The AS2 seems to indicate tempered glass. Maybe some uv-a and uv-b protection is inherent in the lowered transmisivity of E2 glass, but I agree with you, the laminate layer provides nearly 100% protection from those two.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Laminate glass is not acting like a hand grenade during side impact.
Also it makes it slightly more difficult to break in to the vehicle.
So many useless things mandated and not this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts