Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE looked everywhere and theres alot of people getting like one skid plate or another. I was wondering if there was like a basic skid plate set. I just want to protect my underneath if I dropped down on anything....any suggestions would be nice. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
A few more:
Synergy
Artec
JCR
Skid Row

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I use the full JCR set. Easy enough to install and covers everything I need it to.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I'll second RockHard. Jason is awesome. Just placed my order yesterday for the 4 major ones they sell.

I added Rough Country front and rear differential skids and a Rough Country muffler skid. While I typically hate muffler skids because they advertise on the back - it's better than replacing the muffler from taking a hit on the rocks.

·
Supporting Vendor
767 Posts
I HAVE looked everywhere and theres alot of people getting like one skid plate or another. I was wondering if there was like a basic skid plate set. I just want to protect my underneath if I dropped down on anything....any suggestions would be nice. Thanks guys!
Thanks to the above members who mentioned us!

We have a modular system that you can add to your Jeep one at a time for the components you feel you want to protect first. Once you've installed our complete system you'll have a fully protected smooth skid surface from tip to tail.

Our skids come powdercoated, feature our exclusive bolt head protectors, and are pretty darn easy to install. Take a look at our video so you can get an idea of what it takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys80SCb6XmU

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Here is Rock Hard's full set.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Why does Rock Hard make a set of skid plates in aluminum? Is weight reduction worth the lack of protection that steel provides?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Why are does Rock Hard make a set of skid plates in aluminum? Is weight reduction worth the lack of protection that steel provides?
If you are playing in rocks, steel all the way. But for folks who play on less crunchy terrain, aluminum may be a good idea.

·
Supporting Vendor
767 Posts
Why are does Rock Hard make a set of skid plates in aluminum? Is weight reduction worth the lack of protection that steel provides?
We offer 1/4" thick aluminum because some regions simply don't have the need for steel. You're getting the right level of protection in some instances while shaving almost 50% of your weight down.

Like mommymallcrawler mentioned above though - if you are playing in the rocks our steel system will take that more abusive relationship :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you are playing in rocks, steel all the way. But for folks who play on less crunchy terrain, aluminum may be a good idea.
To me aluminum just doesn't seem like it should be used as body armor on a vehicle. They might as well make them out of a composite plastic for less crunchy terrain. This would allow for even greater weight reduction and just about the same strength as aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
To me aluminum just doesn't seem like it should be used as body armor on a vehicle. They might as well make them out of a composite plastic for less crunchy terrain. This would allow for even greater weight reduction and just about the same strength as aluminum.
Depends what strength of aluminum. I know there are different ratings. Out here lots of folks go steel underneath for protection, but aluminum on top (bumpers, rear body armor panels etc) for weight savings.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't know how well Aluminum works on the Jeep, but I never had an issue with my ATV's using full aluminum skids, and I beat the piss out of them over some pretty serious rocks and smacking trees usually at high speed :happyyes:

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
The same for different type of plastics. But if you really want metal strength and light weight, then use titanium.
Can you imagine that?!? I know it's not as crazy as it used to be but I'm still betting I would spend 1/4 of my jeeps worth on titanium skid setup, and I only have 2100 miles on mine! Is interesting idea though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts