Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was searching the local craigslist and came across an ad for a front Rubicon Dana 44 axle. Claims to be off a 2018 JK with less than 10,000 miles. 4.10 gears and and locker. Asking price is $1,800, and missing the axle shafts. Including screenshots of the pictures from the ad. Is this a good deal?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,893 Posts
Could be bent no way of knowing. The locker could be bad so i would not pay $1800

·
Registered
322 Posts
Based on the inner C, that actually looks like a Recon housing. Worth a little more, but 1800 without shafts or outer components seems pretty steep. With the weirdness in the world right now, it wouldn't surprise me if people started dumping their spare parts fairly cheap for some cashflow. Personally Id pass or see if you can talk him down quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts
We paid $1800 for our D44 from a Rubi, but it was complete and the shop doing the gearing swapped it in and stood behind it. From a private seller that seems expensive to me.
At the most, I would pay whatever 1800 minus the cost of axle shafts is.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Any chance of water getting in the ends and causing rust or sludge?

·
Super Moderator
22,893 Posts
Based on the inner C, that actually looks like a Recon housing. Worth a little more, but 1800 without shafts or outer components seems pretty steep. With the weirdness in the world right now, it wouldn't surprise me if people started dumping their spare parts fairly cheap for some cashflow. Personally Id pass or see if you can talk him down quite a bit.
I agree with the recon housing. Not sure why someone would pull the axle shafts. I just went out and looked at my recon axle and numbers for the most part are matching. I still would be concerned that it had bent tubes.

Reactions: gobi_rubi

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I wouldn't touch it simply because of how it appears to be stored. Outside, uncovered, vent fitting wide open, ends open to the elements. It looks like someone didn't give a crap about it and put it out behind the shed.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Too much money.
I bought a new one, complete in 2016 for 1900 bucks

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I agree with the recon housing. Not sure why someone would pull the axle shafts. I just went out and looked at my recon axle and numbers for the most part are matching. I still would be concerned that it had bent tubes.

Pulled the axle shafts to keep as spares or use in his new D44 most likely.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I wouldn't touch it simply because of how it appears to be stored. Outside, uncovered, vent fitting wide open, ends open to the elements. It looks like someone didn't give a crap about it and put it out behind the shed.
It also looks like it just got put there a couple days ago.

I wouldn't be scared of it. But no way in hell would I pay over maybe $500-$700 for it either.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I see the opposite. Rust, and more than just flash rust, on the mating surface of the input pinion where the driveshaft bolts up, and the weeds growing around it. But, that's just how I see it.

The reality is we have no way of telling how long its been sitting there. At a minimum, along with inspecting for damage, the cover should come off for internal inspection before purchasing.

·
Super Moderator
22,893 Posts
definitely would want to know the story behind it. I do think it would take some special rains to get into the vent hole and even in the tubes. be easy to pull the cover and see what it looks like but again I would be more worried about the tubes being bent than water damage. Looks to me like it has been sitting a while as well but I also know rust forms on these in a day. Heck you can get the J8 housing for like $900 which is what the recon housing is.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My concern is more about condensation than rain getting inside.

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts
I would pull the cover before throwing it in the truck to bring home for sure. But all the important bits inside are likely coating with gear lube, so they aren't likely to rust. And really, the D44 on the front of our JKU looks worse than that rust wise. It happens. That is why they invented those cool coatings that convert rust to not-rust.
I certainly wouldn't buy it and run it without changing whatever gear lube may be inside it. But my biggest concerns would be is it straight and how much I will have to spend to replace the axles. Although I ended up pulling out my stock Rubi axles and installing a set of RCV axle shafts. So if you can get them to drop the price to cover the missing axles that could work out in your favor. If you want better axle shafts. But I would be careful, you never know when buying stuff like that. When I sold the D30 that our JKU came with stock I gave the guy a good deal and threw in some extra stock parts that he could either use or resell. I was just happy someone wanted to buy a D30. But it was as good as a D30 could be, no issues. But he didn't know that. He had to trust me. I believe he was rebuilding a wrecked JKU that was just like ours. Only wrecked.
But I was selling a D30. People seem to think their D44's are made of gold or something. They want stupid money for them, regardless of shape. For what they want for that you could just about buy a better housing and locker / gearset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought my jeep wrecked too and my stock Dana 44 was bent from the hit it took, I've been driving it for almost a year and the other day something happened where my front tires seemed to be frozen and a popping sound was coming from my front axle. Got the Jeep towed home and to my surprise the drive side axle shaft was grinded down. Needed new axle's and decided to go with a new housing since mine was bent and I got tired of the camber and alignment issues from it. Found it on craigslist and went to check it out, all looked good. Ordered new shafts and waiting for them to come in! Hopefully the housing isn't bent and all works out! Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts