Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to this guy over the phone for a good 30 min. Hes an engineer in my home town and so am I ( a student ). I could tell by the way he talked he seemed to be telling the truth. Anyway, he says this jeep is in excellent condition and the only thing he could that would need to be replaced in the future was the carburetor. He also said he is very picky. I really like the YJ body style. In fact I love it! I need to know with the work done and the millage is it a good deal? I have a good buddy of mine who is coming with me this weekend to test drive it. I need some pointers on what we should look for and how to spot a bad buy.
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/5469640995.html

·
Registered
338 Posts
It looks extremely clean however have you driven a jeep with a 4.2? They are far from the 4.0s later put in the yj even if you do the nutter bypass and team rush upgrade to it. It's not a bad engine I've had 2 cj 7s with them but the 4.0 is just better. The transmission it has is known for not being the most reliable either the Peugeot 5 speed. Go drive it and see what you think, I personally would hold out for a later year yj with the 4.0 especially at the price he is asking

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is pretty steep.... But ultimately it comes down to what you are willing to pay. I.e. Upgrades/ how it runs/ is there rust anywhere/do your homework. Look at what jeeps are going for in your area.good luck

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks real clean but how did he spend 1100 on brakes lol I just did an entire brake job on mine including all new lines (calipers, drums, shoes, lines, pads, rotors, drum hardware) Think it cost me $250 tops.

·
Registered
133 Posts
He paid labor on the breaks, that's how! Agreed it does look clean, I like the Sahara trim package and low miles dislike the 4.2. He mentions no body rust in his ad which begs the question is there frame rust? Also no mention of a real top which could run big bucks if you want more than a bikini. YJ prices are so subjective. If you love it and are willing to pay it go for it. But definitely do your homework!

·
Super Moderator
12,711 Posts
A new soft top will run about a Grand with the framework and with door uppers, and a used hardtop will cost around $600.00 to $800.00 (without door uppers).
It has no carpets. An aftermarket kit is $325.00 and doesn't fit well.
A new carb is $150.00 at National Carburator and you will have to install it yourself or pay a mechanic to install it. It will work right out of the box.

Please, DON'T buy any vehicle over the phone. Take a knowledgable friend or your mechanic with you when you go to test drive it.
Take a hammer and screwdriver when you go and bang the hammer on the screwdriver on the frame (like a chisel) at the rear spring shackle mount areas and the same thing at the front spring shackles and steering box area. Same thing around where the transmission crossmember mounts to the frame. YJ frames are prone to rust out in these areas. Just because of no body rust, doesnt mean no frame rust.

Original paint?? Why is it missing the passenger side taillight protector? Sometimes called spare tire bumper.

It looks pretty clean, but only a close physical inspection will show up the warts. Offer him 7K with a complete top or 6K without a top IF everything else checks out. Check the underside real well for rust and oil leaks.

Be prepared for a lot more maintainance than a 10 year old Toyota.

Good Luck, L.m.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks good. I'd haggle the price a bit. Does it come with hard/soft top for driving in rain/cold? For that price it should. Check rust, how it runs/shifts and for leaks and smoke.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
This is a very nice Looking Jeep, if it has lived in Alabama all it's life it should not have a rust issue, he has done a lot of what would need to be done on a car around 100k miles, I think with out a top of some kind he is way to high on price, that said if it's all that he says it is, in Louisiana it would go for about $6,000. with a good top. Down Here, No Rust is a Big Deal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Very good looking YJ, from the pictures, to verify it is the original paint, check the badge on the firewall above the steering wheel shaft, it will tell you all the specifics of the paint and interior colors, speaking of interior, I don't think those are the stock color seats, I believe that color began in 1993/4, but I'm not positive. It does appear to have the sand color dash and steering wheel, I have that color interior. I personally love it, but there is no aftermarket support for this color that I have found.another point, I don't know Alabama prices, but that is expensive, I have a 1990 with a 4.2 (which I am a huge fan of, so easy to work on and waaaaay better than the 2.5 I had in another jeep) it has almost twice the miles, but I was able to get it with a soft top, doors and a hardtop for only 3 grand.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just because hepaid a lot for maintenance doesnt mean you have to also. Looks like a nice vehicle but he is asking a lot for it. I see that some of the receipts are over 2 years old others dont have a date so i would check that. Also i would run a car fax just to verify mileage. oh and as far as hammer and screwdriver dont be suprised if he says no way. Personally There is no way i would allow a stranger anywhere near any of my vehicles with a hammer and screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Just because hepaid a lot for maintenance doesnt mean you have to also. Looks like a nice vehicle but he is asking a lot for it. I see that some of the receipts are over 2 years old others dont have a date so i would check that. Also i would run a car fax just to verify mileage. oh and as far as hammer and screwdriver dont be suprised if he says no way. Personally There is no way i would allow a stranger anywhere near any of my vehicles with a hammer and screwdriver.
lol I agree. I laugh also every time someone suggests they go and start scraping and banging on someone else's jeep. As a carpenter I would be real pissed if someone came through the house I just spent 75,000 dollars to remodel so you can start smacking the drywall to check for termites.

For the most part you can just look at a frame or body and tell it's good or garbage. Shitty welds, patches are a dead giveaway. Mud inside the frame! For the kind of money this guy is asking I would spend a lot of time looking at that thing top to bottom, every wire better be in its exact correct spot even.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
One more thing about all the money he has spent on it, just means he has tried to keep it up to stuff, the way it should be anyway, that does not mean it's worth more than it should cost in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Looks like a nice jeep, but that kind of money out here will get you into a 4.0L unmolested lo mile sahara

·
Jeep Newbie
639 Posts
Depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to lift it you'll have to add in the cost of the lift and the rims/tires. Just for comparison sake, I bought mine for 6K, 4.0, 105,000 miles, already lifted, 33's, winch, relatively new after market seats front/rear, good rubber and hard top.

I've put almost $800.00 into it with new brakes, turn signal and parking lights, ujoints, paint for the dash, bedrug (waiting for that to arrive), flares, new console and a steering wheel. So I'm at $6,800 but I still need to paint it which I will probably do myself, so add in the cost of paint and supplies.

$8K for a stock 1988 YJ is a lot of money. But what the hell, what price can you put on all the dates you're gonna get???

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Quote: $8K for a stock 1988 YJ is a lot of money. But what the hell, what price can you put on all the dates you're gonna get???

And those Dates will be with Good People that, Love the Jeep Life!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts