Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what the bottom line answer is (if I'm happy with it then yes), but I'm asking because I don't know the details.
I have a hard top with full doors. I'm thinking about trading for a soft top to include all the hardware. Would trading my hard top for a soft top with full hardware be a good deal? He says the soft top is less than a year old. I know I would have to look at shape of top, but other than that.....
Also I have full doors. He has half doors. Not sure if my full doors will fit the soft top or if his half top will fit the hard top. Could I possibly get some soft doors that would match?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Do the half doors come with the soft top? If they do than yes it should work. What you need to do for the set up to work for him as well as yourself is trade doors also. If yu don't you will have doors u can't use as well the same for him

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you have full steel doors, i think your best options are a best top super top or a softopper frameless top. I would go with the softopper myself and it gets great reviews, too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have the softtopper think it's the best deal out there,keeping my hardtop for the winter.
Take windows out and have you a full bikini top.
It only take a few minutes to take the windows out and about the same amount of time to put them in

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
who makes the top and what model?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know anything about the top yet. I will find out next week when we meet up. I'm just wondering if trading a hard top for a soft top would be a worthwhile deal. Or am I giving up a lot? And as I understand, the doors should be traded too. Am I missing anything?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I don't know anything about the top yet. I will find out next week when we meet up. I'm just wondering if trading a hard top for a soft top would be a worthwhile deal. Or am I giving up a lot? And as I understand, the doors should be traded too. Am I missing anything?
To me the hardtop with full door is worth more than the soft top, as secures the jeep more... I also like to run my soft tops with full doors.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I would not trade a hard top with no doors, that's just dumb, if u did now you got a soft top with doors that don't fit!!!

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I would not trade a hard top with no doors, that's just dumb, if u did now you got a soft top with doors that don't fit!!!
^^^^ This guy doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about^^^^

When you go look at the top if it looks like this around the doors then it will work with your full doors and you'll want to trade for it. But if it doesn't walk away and for under $ 500 you can get the top I have from Rampage with everything needed to install on your jeep.
Hope this helps.
Oh and don't trade your doors. ...they're worth a lot of money

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
OEM soft tops are made for either full doors or half doors. They're not interchangeable because of the window corners. Your full doors have rounded corners, OEM half door uppers have square corners. Since the guy you want to trade with has half doors, if he has an OEM style top, it won't fit with your doors. The best option IMO is to have both tops, like a previous poster mentioned. Or you can run a bikini top in the summer. To answer your question, your hard top is worth more than a used soft top unless it's a top of the line Bestop. Check Craigslist to see what hard tops are selling for in your area and then check Quadratec to see what new soft tops sell for to get an idea of prices.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Where do you live , you might be better off selling the hard top and buying a new frameless top , and in the end you are the one who has to live with your decision , I have a hard top and would love to have a soft top , but I would never trade my hard top for one , how about buying a frameless top , then you have the best of both worlds

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a hard top with full steel doors. I recently purchase a soft top, full frame kit, and two piece soft doors for $800. This way I have the best of both worlds.

That being said, do not trade you full steel doors. Even in bad condition they are worth money.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
^^^^ This guy doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about^^^^

I do apologize, ignorance got the best of me on that one, I honestly didn't know there was an option to have full steal doors and a soft top. That is really awesome and I agree don't get rid of the steal doors if yu don't have to!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts