·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Hello,

Did you just say you have a minimum wage job and you want to drive your TJ through water? Sounds scary to me lol.

Be sure you take all of the other steps before doing it other than simply installing a snorkel. Axle vent tubes need to be extended, trans breather extended, waterproof battery connections, sealed water proof airbox, etc...

Watch this video, jump ahead to 4:30 and watch through the end. Its a good lesson for someone else to learn lol Death of a Rubicon - YouTube

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello,

Did you just say you have a minimum wage job and you want to drive your TJ through water? Sounds scary to me lol.

Be sure you take all of the other steps before doing it other than simply installing a snorkel. Axle vent tubes need to be extended, trans breather extended, waterproof battery connections, sealed water proof airbox, etc...

Watch this video, jump ahead to 4:30 and watch through the end. Its a good lesson for someone else to learn lol Death of a Rubicon - YouTube
^This.

I believe some snorkel systems have a disclaimer saying just because you add a snorkel doesn't turn your jeep into a submarine. You will have to water proof other parts as well. I don't believe everything is fully water proof. You might have to install electric fans as well so you can turn the fans off manually for deep water crossings.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Take a good look at the installed picture on eBay. It routes the air tube from high up in the engine bay to exit down low through the fender. Unless that is sealed very well you have a greater chance of sucking water that a stock setup which puts your air horn pretty high.

^ As the others have said there is more to running through water than the air supply.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
It looks like the arb design, I say go for it

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys im not doing anything insane in my jeep I dont plan on going into any water that will leak into my doors its more for performance, and for the ocasional splash of water that would otherwise get into my cold air intake. I know my jeep will not be a boat lol

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Alright guys im not doing anything insane in my jeep I dont plan on going into any water that will leak into my doors its more for performance, and for the ocasional splash of water that would otherwise get into my cold air intake. I know my jeep will not be a boat lol
A stock airbox does an excellent job at keeping the splashes out. Also know that snorkels loves to hook brush and low limbs. (I have found snorkel pieces on a trail once.)

Oh and by installing a snokel, you are significantly lowering the worth and potential buyers of your TJ if/when you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't really like the design of it. Why would you make a snorkel and run the piping lower than factory then back up. I stepped up from the atv world to here and on fourwheelers snorkeling is very common but you wouldn't run the pipes down then back up, you want the smoothest least restricting flow to the throttle body. If it did get water it through a hose clamp or somewhere it would settle at the lowest point, kind of like a p-trap on your kitchen sink instead of stopping sewer gas from getting into your house it would reduce the air going into your engine

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
IWANNAOFFROAD said:
Do you have the stock air box and intake system?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
I wouldn't install a snorkel. First, despite some of the advertising hype that claims otherwise, a snorkel doesn't improve performance. Second, water that is deep enough to require a snorkel is likely to find its way into your transmission, axles, or transfer case if they don't all have vent tubes connected securely to keep water out of their vents... and all of those items do have air vents on them.

Lastly, water that isn't too deep to get into those items would have a hard time making it past the OE air intake system.

Snorkels may look cool but there are better ways to spend your hard-earned $$$ that will better benefit your Jeep when offroad... like an oil pan skidplate, quick disconnects for the front anti-swaybar, tow hooks, etc. :)

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Save your money for Mods that actually help. Lockers, gears, Antirock, tires,cb, lift....

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DIY Snorkel

Hey guys I'm looking into making my own snorkel for my 2004 Jeep wrangler TJ. Snorkels are way to expensive to buy for me. ARB wants upwards from $400 just for pieces of plastic. I was doing some online research and stumbled upon this link http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...el/snorkel.htm
Know I know it's a Cherokee and all but would this work for a Tj. Also would my stock air intake work? I like the design because it is low profile and for the deep water crossings I can just extend it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ok well the link doesn't seem to be working however the way it sounds the DIY will not completely encase your engine or vent your tranny or diffs which makes it simple a really long air filter and if you attempt a deep water crossing you will ruin your jeep have to be pulled out and towed home. Alot of people don't realize that a snorkel helps in no way if you don't prep the rest of the vehicle. But go for it. Just b careful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.