Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Is this a leaky oil cooler?

968 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  brandofamily
I’m going around and around with the dealership about an oil leak. Drips are showing on the bottom of the transmission case.
I used a bore camera to check inside the inspection ports to see if it could be the rear main seal… pretty dry in there. No drips.
They are telling me the upper oil pan is causing the drip.
Check out this pic and tell me if this looks like an oil cooler leak.
Bumper Gas Plumbing Automotive exterior Auto part

This pic was taken w my bore camera. It’s showing the area under the lower intake plenum to the driver side of the oil cooler.
They are saying it’s residual drippage from oil change(s) and not a leaky oil cooler.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· August 2022 ROTM Winner
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all that replied. We are in agreement here.
The rest of the story is that this is on my wife’s Jeep and we have Lifetime Warranties on both of our Jeeps. No comments on warranty please they have more than paid for themselves already. Lol
I had sent this pic to the dealership service writer prior to dropping off the Jeep.
They said they found a leaking upper oil pan, leaky trans pan and a leaky axle seal. All covered by warranty for a $100 deductible.
All fine and well, but what about my oil cooler?
They say top of trans is dry so not an oil cooler leak. I said I’d believe them until I didn’t any longer and didn’t want to get stuck with 2 deductibles when I had to bring it back for the oil cooler.
I have it in writing that they will eat the deductible if/when there’s still a leak when this service ticket is completed and they have to warranty the oil cooler. They are supposed to clean out all that drippage before giving me the Jeep back.
So we will see how this all works out.
I’ll update on the outcome.

4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to use your bore camera to find where the oil is running down the back of the engine.
I will do that when I get it back as I figured my pic would make it an open and shut case for the oil cooler.

4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I dont know who's been doing your oil changes... however I know from doing alot of oil changes with the stand up cartridge style filter like the 3.6 has if you do the oil change while its hot and you're quick with pulling out the oil filter and not letting the housing drain out first you can get aloooot of oil spilt into the valley. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a sloppy oil change iv seen it on this exact vehicle and iv been guilty of doing it on my own only difference is I knew it was from the oil change because it was my mistake so I was able to clean it out. I can see some careless lube tech just blowing through oil changes. the thing iv seen with the 3.6 is the oil will start to run down the sides of the bell housing when they have a active leak
The only single time any one has changed the oil other than me was when the same dealership changed the cams, lifters and rockers on this Jeep 20,000 miles ago (@ 100,833 miles). Since then I've changed the oil 6 times, I am old and still do every 3000 miles just to be safe. I have never spilled but a few drops. I would think the dealership tech would have cleaned out that valley very well when replacing the cams etc. as they did when they replaced the cams etc. on my 2015.
They are supposed to clean that valley out for me before I get it back this week and then I'll keep a close eye and wait for the leak to puddle up again.

4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMHO every JK owner with the 3.6 should have a replacement oil filter housing in hand with the proper seals and sensors if they have not replaced it yet.

I don’t know if I would allow the dealer to replace it…mainly because they are not going to fix it permanently.
I am because it's covered under my Lifetime Warranty.

Reactions: vanhalo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts