Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for a rear bumper for my JK and found this bumper on Craigslist. The guy selling is super nice, but doesn't really seem to know what he has, so I'm a little skeptical buying this.

After doing research on SmittyBilt rear bumpers with tire carriers, I find bumpers that are VERY similar to this but can't find any with the lights that this bumper has. Is this a true Smittybilt or is it a knock off?

Also, seeing the condition that it is in, is it worth the $300 that I offered? I'm in dire need of a tire carrier but I don't want to end up with a piece of junk.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's about identical to my Barricade rear bumper/tire carrier. If you can pick it up for $300, I'd say snatch it up! I like my Barricade, but the only drawback is the need to open the tailgate and the carrier separately. A carrier that allows you to open everything simultaneously is going to run at least $800-1000, so the worth of the convenience is up to you. As far as the finish is concerned, bedliner IS your friend!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I would save up and get one that opens with the gate. I have one that opens separately on my TJ and can be a pain sometimes. The JKU's opens together and as much as we use the back it was well worth the extra money. IMHO

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
So there are knockoffs of Chinese products now?

·
Registered
849 Posts
They aren't knockoffs. They are the same exact bumper with a different name.

Awhile ago a bought an "e autogrilles" rear bumper and tire carrier from ebay for 500. My buddy had the smittybilt tire carrier he got for 800. Both were identical. There is a 200+ page thread on another forum that talks about them.

You can still get the rear bumper/tire carrier combo from ebay for 500 with free shipping. But its probably under a different name.

Ordering from them comes with some trade-off. Poor customer service, crappy finish( same as smittys) , bad hardware etc.

I remember reading a lot of posts where the bumpers that were shipped got damaged and guys were able to get 10 or 20 % back if they were quick about giving negative reviews on ebay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its not a smittybilt. There are several other places sourcing a similar bumper. you need to look at how the hitch mounts. The sb will have a cup that will cup the rear crossmember like the factory hitch. Others will not cup the rear crossmember and can be identified as just having 4 bolts thru the rear of the rear crossmember and the bumper hitch is only butted up against the rear crossmember. The sb also has a latch support bolted onto the two bolts that secure the billet handle.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
My buddy has that exact bumper minus the lights, theres a grease fitting on top of the hinge, or should be, check to see if it was there or if its sealed. My buddies broke off in there and has to be drilled and tapped. by these pics I don't see the zerk, Smittybilts have the zerk on the hinge.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks the same as my Smittybilt without the lights, even the latch handle is the same, mine came with two different ones so I could use the one I preferred.

Fit fine and no problems with it so far, give the carrier a shot of grease every couple of months and it closes smoothly, no sag yet.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's funny how you are asking if it is a real Smittybuilt. Like it is something to aspire too. That being said, 300 is probably worth it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's funny how you are asking if it is a real Smittybuilt. Like it is something to aspire too. That being said, 300 is probably worth it.
No, I realize that some people dislike smittybilt. I get that. I don't have a feeling either way... But I really need something to hold this fat ass of a tire I have sitting where my rear seat used to be.

I'm just making sure what I'm planning on purchasing isn't going to fall apart on me or anything. Haha. At least there is a company that i can reach about it. Ya know?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Worst case scenario it falls apart, it'll be the tire carrier or hinge, all very easy to fix, I believe most people sell hinge setups for tire carries separate also, so if it does break it'll cost you price of the part and some beer for a welder to fix. later on if you want to change it or make adjustments a welder will easily fabricate whatever you need. 300 bucks is worth it IMO.

·
Vendor
492 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts