Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I cant visit the link while here at work but no...you wont need a sye or cv shaft for that kit.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not really. No front adjustable trackbar, no front control arms to adjust caster, no bumpstop extensions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
rough country ... there is a reason rough is in the name

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats Rough... ha so punny!

so 3"+ of lift you NEED to have an adjustable trackbar, adjustable control arms (front and rear, upper and lower) ?
and bumpstop extensions.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Man thats a cheap price.Id be scared of it.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
so 3"+ of lift you NEED to have an adjustable trackbar, adjustable control arms (front and rear, upper and lower) ?
and bumpstop extensions.
you need to set proper axle position, and prevent suspension interferences and damage.

but most people don't. they just wreck their shocks over time and live with bad road manners & death wobble. then they install some kind of cheapo POS adjustable track bar to try to fix the DW, but in the long run they end up causing even more interference issues they don't recognize until that POS fails or falls apart. but before that POS needs replaced, they decide to fix the rough ride by installing quality shocks. they don't set the bumpstops properly, so they blow a few high dollar shocks before they realize bumpstops need attention. the saga continues quite a bit more, with more parts, but basically they end up chasing problems.

somewhere along the way most people say screw it and either sell the Jeep or learn what needs to be done and end up dropping even more money on quality parts to fix the previous crap.

if you're smart, you'll just start by learning what needs to be done with your suspension to set it up right, and only buy one round of parts....that work.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I consider adjustable trackbars a necessity for 3"+ of lift. They are only not required if you don't mind your axle being centered, then no I guess it's not required. You'll need front lowers at least to correct for caster. Some earlier TJ's have cam bolts on the front lowers to correct for caster but I'm not sure if they have enough in them to correct for a 3" lift. If you don't have the cam bolts, I'd get the lowers at least. Front uppers will allow you to position the axle correctly at full bump. Rear CA's are only needed if you get an she/cv.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you need to set proper axle position, and prevent suspension interferences and damage.

but most people don't. they just wreck their shocks over time and live with bad road manners & death wobble. then they install some kind of cheapo POS adjustable track bar to try to fix the DW, but in the long run they end up causing even more interference issues they don't recognize until that POS fails or falls apart. but before that POS needs replaced, they decide to fix the rough ride by installing quality shocks. they don't set the bumpstops properly, so they blow a few high dollar shocks before they realize bumpstops need attention. the saga continues quite a bit more, with more parts, but basically they end up chasing problems.

somewhere along the way most people say screw it and either sell the Jeep or learn what needs to be done and end up dropping even more money on quality parts to fix the previous crap.
I hear ya, ive got friends like that :banghead:

I like to do things once; the right way. So money aside and name brands aside.

3"+ lift REQUIRES: shocks, springs, TC drop, adjustable front, rear, upper, and lower control arms, adj. track bar, bumpstop extensions. And this would be to set proper axle position and geometry. any misc parts im missing?

any more of a lift would require DC shaft, SYE, and other things like extended brake lines, etc...

am i understanding this correct?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
no, you're not.

stop thinking about what people say is required at a given lift height.

learn about what each component does and how it works. then learn what happens as you change geometry with any lift height.

after you have a clear understanding of how things work, you'll understand what parts need to be replaced and why.

For reference, here's my build thread. I run roughly 2.5" of lift...check out the suggested readings list for some education....

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hear ya, ive got friends like that :banghead:

I like to do things once; the right way. So money aside and name brands aside.

3"+ lift REQUIRES: shocks, springs, TC drop, adjustable front, rear, upper, and lower control arms, adj. track bar, bumpstop extensions. And this would be to set proper axle position and geometry. any misc parts im missing?

any more of a lift would require DC shaft, SYE, and other things like extended brake lines, etc...

While you are getting your head around all the choice ahead of you, get your driveline ready so your other choices are not affected by that situation.

Do an SYE, DCDS, 1.25"BL, 1"MML and high clearance skid. Then you are ready for anything else you MAY want to do.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Jeesh,your just changing the geometry of things.Whats the worst that can happen??? :hide:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yeah it was.

thanks goat man for the feedback, however blunt its appreciated. Im just being a fool for 5 minutes asking a question. but its better than being a fool forever by not asking the question.

also thanks PS & 00silver for the info as well. Its all good useful information that i can use and apply.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not a problem! Ha and that's the first time I've ever heard of Unlimited being referred to as "goat man". Maybe it'll stick :D

Good luck with your future mods!

·
Registered
316 Posts

if you're smart, you'll just start by learning what needs to be done with your suspension to set it up right, and only buy one round of parts....that work.
:appl:

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
This is a joke right?
It was a lot of sarcasm lol.My MML fixed any vibes I had.Can cruise all day at 80 if I wanted.Dont usually do that,Id prob roll it lol

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It was a lot of sarcasm lol.My MML fixed any vibes I had.Can cruise all day at 80 if I wanted.Dont usually do that,Id prob roll it lol
I figured it was. Just wanted to be sure. You never know sometimes. Ha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts