Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hearing a grinding coming from my drivetrain a few weeks ago. Checked tcase drive shafts and ujoints. Haven't driven much. Finally decided to open the diff. And there are gouges on my locker from my pinion gear. What could have caused this and what can I do? It's a 2000 tj 4cyl on 33's. Rear is a swapped in tj d44 with 4.88 gears and a locker

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
How long ago was the locker put in and Regear done? Did a shop do it? If so, bring it back there. They should warranty their work and should fix that. What locker is that? it doesn't look familiar to me...

As long as there isn't any major damage done to the pinion or ring gears, you shouldn't be looking at spending too much at all. Locker is most likely fine, those scratches look shallow. Worse case you may need new gears.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I looked because I wondered what could or would not be fixable on a Jeep......now I must admit I still DK as inside the drivetrain is one of the places I save for the pros.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Were there metal pieces or particles in there? Looks like either a pinion bearing or side carrier bearing could have let go. If it has made noise since installed, it was either set up way wrong, or it's the wrong locker for that gear set.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was geared and locked a couple years ago never made any noises until now. There was some fine metallic shavings prob from the marks on the locker. I did the pinion seal last year on it and I think I didn't get it tight enough so it slowly loosened over time because I decided to hit the nut with my cordless impact and crank it down. No noise whatsoever now. So I think the pinion gear backed out enough to make contact with the locker. I'm gonna open it back up and check it out after driving it a week or so.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The pics wouldn't work on my phone but I had a similar problem last year but worse to the point my rear axle locked up, the cause was the pinion nut worked loose and allowed the pinion to hit the carrier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts