Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Wrangler Rubicon two door and have people asking if it is for sale . I have 18,000 miles on it and it is stock it is a manual trans and geared with 4:10 . When I bought it new it was $37,890 now it is two years old and I have turned down offers close to what I paid new . I do not need to sell nor will I as I can not replace it for that kind of money . I really at a loss as to the thinking of people .

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a 2012 JKUR that's in awesome shape, done very cleanly and riding on 37's. Paid $35.5k for it new (like $38k with taxes and fees).

I had a guy in a parking lot ask me if I would sell it. I said, "sure, for about what I have into it total at this point". He says "how much?" I say "About $70K now." His face fell.

Needless to say, that conversation ended quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
with the high prices of the new JLs, it seems legit that people are wanting good condition used JK's at those prices. It's a deal to get a Jeep at that price these days, whereas back a few years ago, we all thought we were getting robbed. circle of life, I guess.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
with the high prices of the new JLs, it seems legit that people are wanting good condition used JK's at those prices. It's a deal to get a Jeep at that price these days, whereas back a few years ago, we all thought we were getting robbed. circle of life, I guess.
Well, at least the insane prices on the newer ones help ours hold their value that much better.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
It would be interesting to see what my 2016 75th anniversary is worth today with only 18k miles ....

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I have a 2012 JKUR that's in awesome shape, done very cleanly and riding on 37's. Paid $35.5k for it new (like $38k with taxes and fees).

I had a guy in a parking lot ask me if I would sell it. I said, "sure, for about what I have into it total at this point". He says "how much?" I say "About $70K now." His face fell.

Needless to say, that conversation ended quickly.
I'd love for someone to agree to a deal like that on mine. I'd love to start on a fresh, new build. But I've got so much time / $$ into my current JK that I'm not sure I'll ever sell it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Makes me want to put mine on the market just for the kicks and giggles and see if I would have any bites, but knowing my luck i would either get no bites ever or I would get someone at my door step with the asking amount (possibly more) in hand ready to drive it away.....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd love for someone to agree to a deal like that on mine. I'd love to start on a fresh, new build. But I've got so much time / $$ into my current JK that I'm not sure I'll ever sell it.
OMG yeah, shoot I'd take that in a second. Wasn't looking to part with it though so I threw out the cost number to shut him down.

In all reality, IF I wanted it to go, I'd be happy as hell with $35k and probably wouldn't even see that on the used market even with 32K miles on it.

The time, the blood sweat and tears is the big thing that hits even harder over the actual costs. Especially if it's done right. Every Jeep I have built up and sold I have regretted selling. Over 13 of them I think by now in 24 years or so. That's why this one has stayed in my garage 7 years now. I've never kept ANY vehicle this long.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have thought of selling mine several times to get a GC Trailhawk. But. the JK is holding value better than any GC and the GC is due for a re-do soon. Plus the GC is just so "vanilla", lacking anything that sets it apart. Plus in calif there is the 10% sales tax. Just hate to give more money to a corrupt state. I will loose less money on the JK the next 2 years than a newer used GC. I bet I could get $32K for my JKUR now as the prices have held solid as long as the economy is strong.

·
Super Moderator
23,446 Posts
If someone offered me close to what I paid for my 2018 recon it would be “congrats you bought yourself a recon”

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd start fresh with no hesitation, given a good offer on my Jeep. For starters, I'd buy a Rubicon base. No more playing catchup.

·
Premium Member
7,261 Posts
After I got through "refurbing" my TJ with all new exterior paint, new wheels, tires and top, I have had the same problem. Some people thought it was only a few years old and couldn't believe it is 16 years old. Also NFS.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don’t think it is for real. Offers are cheap.
3 months ago I bought a brand new 2018 JK Rubicon for $37k so not sure what your potential buyers are smoking. Manual or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
Talk is cheap, and I have had a number of people say they would buy whatever I was driving for some crazy high number. They don't have the money they are talking about in all likely-hood.
But I do agree that the crazy prices of JL's have helped prop up the used prices of JK's. Plus they actually improved demand among some, as the new version has not been as well received as hoped.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
OMG yeah, shoot I'd take that in a second. Wasn't looking to part with it though so I threw out the cost number to shut him down.

In all reality, IF I wanted it to go, I'd be happy as hell with $35k and probably wouldn't even see that on the used market even with 32K miles on it.

The time, the blood sweat and tears is the big thing that hits even harder over the actual costs. Especially if it's done right. Every Jeep I have built up and sold I have regretted selling. Over 13 of them I think by now in 24 years or so. That's why this one has stayed in my garage 7 years now. I've never kept ANY vehicle this long.
You're old. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts