Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68026937AB seal kit from mopar is double the price of the crown automotive or ominx pieces. Are these just rebranded like other mopar parts or is there any difference?

Thanks

Dylan

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Some company makes them, Mopar puts them in a package with their name on it, and jacks the price up.
Same with all parts you buy from manufacturers.
The auto manufactures do not make their own parts.
They send out specs, and purchase from low bid suppliers.
Like it or not, that's the way it is today.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
There are hundreds of companies that manufacture and sell aftermarket automotive parts. They simply reverse engineer the OEM parts, some with better quality, some with less. Take for example brakes, hoses, air filters. We all know that some brands of oil filters are poor quality and some are great. I would have no problem buying a Crown Automotive aftermarket part at 1/2 the cost but would not “expect” OEM quality. I helped a friend replace a front bumper on her 2018 JK with a crown part, it was good but not great. She was satisfied with the quality and that’s all that matters.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
There is a vendor on this very site, moparonlineparts.com, that will sell you an actual OEM part at a better price than retail.
Crown parts are not OEM parts under a different name. They are OEM like parts at a reduced price. But they are not OEM. Is it good enough? Probably. But a Crown or Omix part isn't an OEM part.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Many times a Crown part will carry the same part number as a Mopar OEM part. That is for convenience and actually helps the customer for if you want to know it's for your Jeep, you can go on one of the online stores that sell mopar parts and see what years the part actually fits. If you have the original part and have the part number, it helps match up the part.

To the best of my knowledge Crown is the only one who does that. But, not all Crown parts have the mopar number, only the parts intended as a direct replacement. As my TJ ages it is starting to collect a number of Crown, Omix-ADA and Dorman parts. I have not had an issue with parts from any of those three suppliers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
68026937AB seal kit from mopar is double the price of the crown automotive or ominx pieces. Are these just rebranded like other mopar parts or is there any difference?
Crown Automotive parts are supposed to be form, fit, and function "equivalent" to the Mopar parts; but they are different parts, made from a different supplier.

Crown Automotive parts are not rebranded Mopar parts.

:)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
There is a vendor on this very site, moparonlineparts.com, that will sell you an actual OEM part at a better price than retail.
Crown parts are not OEM parts under a different name. They are OEM like parts at a reduced price. But they are not OEM. Is it good enough? Probably. But a Crown or Omix part isn't an OEM part.
We'd call that "jobber" parts in the frozen north- non-OEM replacement parts. Sometimes they are good (or good enough), sometimes less so. Unfortunately, as a vehicle gets older and the manufacturer is no longer compelled to make genuine OEM replacement parts available, the aftermarket will usually pick up the slack for most things you are likely to need in the form of jobber and remanufactured parts.

Depending on what the part is, aftermarket and remanufactured parts from reputable suppliers are usually OK, but when possible I would choose OEM (unless that OEM part has a history of premature failure). If it is a 20 year old vehicle that needs a starter or alternator, most times a remanufactured part makes the most sense compared to tracking down a new old stock OEM replacement. For something like a fender or bumper on an older vehicle, sometimes all that is available is a jobber replacement unless you choose used parts. The Jeep JK is a parts manufacturer's dream- minimal changes over the length of an 11 year production run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts