Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 4cyl auto and going up grades at highway speeds or anytime, my top speed drops down to as little as 35mph, wondering if that's normal. I know this is a problem in itself but I'll throw it in with this, I can't kickdown to second, it just acts like its in neutral even when I throw the shifter into second it does the same thing. Tips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
The 4 cyl is just that - a 4 cyl... LOL - only kidding!

Supercharger, turbo, CAI, exhaust, tuning anything to squeeze every little but of power out of her... In all honesty - upgrade the whole thing to a min of 4.0L but if you have the cash you can fit a small V8 under the hood and be the envy of every 4x4 on the trail!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Slowing down on a long grade is normal, but what you describe on your transmission isn't. It should downshift on it's own and be able to speed back up in 2nd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
So when you punch the throttle on the hill, it goes into what seems to be neutral and the Jeep rolls and slows down freely while the engine just revs, and when you manually put in into 2nd, it does the same thing? That's the way I read it.
Paint us a mental picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blind Dog said:
So when you punch the throttle on the hill, it goes into what seems to be neutral and the Jeep rolls and slows down freely while the engine just revs, and when you manually put in into 2nd, it does the same thing? That's the way I read it.
Paint us a mental picture.
That's exactly it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jonathon said:
Has it only done that or just started? What tire size are u running? Stock gears? Need more info to help
It has done that since I've gotten it two months ago, I'm on 31's and the axles still have the tags on them reading 3.73.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
regear the axles. 4.56 is probably best. I've got a 2.5 5 speed. it needs regeared just waiting on funds. most of the performance upgrades you can get for it wont do much. trust me, ive got most of um. throttle body spacer performance coil plugs plug wires high flow air filter. basically if you want power best to regear the diffs, and then forced induction.
oh and your tranny, I'd change the fluid maybe even get it flushed. if that doesn't fix it have it rebuilt, or replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Are you sure it's not already in second? I mean your auto only has 3 gears and I seriously doubt it's in 3rd going up a hill with a 4 banger. It just sounds like you're low on power and need a re-gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn said:
Are you sure it's not already in second? I mean your auto only has 3 gears and I seriously doubt it's in 3rd going up a hill with a 4 banger. It just sounds like you're low on power and need a re-gear.
Positive, it also has a problem when taking off that its in second gear for not even one second before it shifts to third... It does not kickdown to second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I have 4.88 gears waiting to be installed, in just waiting to decide if I want to wait to put on a locker with them at the same time. By forced induction, do you mean turbo? And I'm also heavily considering tranny rebuild
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I would suggest getting the transmission fixed first. That might take care of your other problems at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
It doesn't sound too good. Unless there is a vacuum line off somewhere. The part the bothers me is that it's doing it automatically (going into neutral) and not just when you downshift manually. But it's hard to tell if it could be mechanically external to the transmission, a computer control issue, or something inside the unit requiring a teardown.

I think this might be an 30RH tranny. Do you have a factory service manual?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blind Dog said:
It doesn't sound too good. Unless there is a vacuum line off somewhere. The part the bothers me is that it's doing it automatically (going into neutral) and not just when you downshift manually. But it's hard to tell if it could be mechanically external to the transmission, a computer control issue, or something inside the unit requiring a teardown.

I think this might be an 30RH tranny. Do you have a factory service manual?
Not factory, I have a Hanes manual. It is a 30rh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
I've heard these can act funny if the filter is plugged or they got water inside, but you already serviced it. I guess if it were me I'd do a look at the Haynes for a troubleshooting check chart, and visually inspect any hoses and linkages on and to the tranny very carefully. I believe this is hydraulically shifted so look for a vacuum control problem, loose tranny mounts or linkages, or bent ones.
I'm thinking the problem is inside the tranny like a stuck spool valve or broken retainer somewhere, but that's just my gut feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blind Dog said:
I've heard these can act funny if the filter is plugged or they got water inside, but you already serviced it. I guess if it were me I'd do a look at the Haynes for a troubleshooting check chart, and visually inspect any hoses and linkages on and to the tranny very carefully. I believe this is hydraulically shifted so look for a vacuum control problem, loose tranny mounts or linkages, or bent ones.
I'm thinking the problem is inside the tranny like a stuck spool valve or broken retainer somewhere, but that's just my gut feeling.
Okay. The new filter I put on was, I noticed, seemingly much more thick than the one I pulled off. But the one I pulled off seemed like a joke since it was so transparent and thin. But it started having that shifting problem right before I serviced it yet it continues, I even adjusted the bands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
The filter is probably tested for adequate flow for the tranny it's for unless it's an illegitimate Chinese clone.
Idunno. If something external isn't out of adjustment or broke, you might think about a rebuild. I'm over my head in transmissions other than that, myself.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top