Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered a small leak around my oil pan gasket and main seal. Is it bad enough to warrant me replacing? Jeep is an 03' Wrangler X with the 4.0L I6.

View of main seal and oil pan gasket

Underneath main seal and oil pan gasket

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would say yes for 2 reasons:

1 when you drop the oil pan, replace oil pump because your right there and it's a $150 part

2 also, inspect the timing chain and replace it if your remotely close to 100k miles and $180 part

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your leak isn't very bad. Personally, I would not be too concerned unless it is bothering you. Not to be contentious, but I replaced my pan gasket at about 70K and now have 232K on my 4.0 liter, change neither the oil pump or the timing chain, and the old 4.0 is still running strong. It may crap out tomorrow, who knows, but I have a spare engine with 35K in my garage. Good wheeling.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
How much is making it to the ground? If she's just seeping I wouldn't worry too much about it. And what does the backside of your motor look like? Could be valve cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much is making it to the ground? If she's just seeping I wouldn't worry too much about it. And what does the backside of your motor look like? Could be valve cover.
It's not making it to the ground at all. I need to get my ass out to the garage and check the valve cover but I don't think its contributing to the oil pan gasket. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it then. They all seep/leak at some point. Just keep an eye her. Even when she starts to mark territory it's not critical to replace.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dont have any clue as to the torque specs.. I used a 3/8" ratchet with a short handle and extension ... just tightened as much as i could.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts