Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This YJ is pretty far from me. Very nice looking jeep. I'm looking at buying would really appreciate a jeep persons opinion on the frame and tub. In one of the pics I see a square that has been cut out of the bottom of the tub and replaced. Is this a rust repair, or is something else going on here?? The area around the repair does not look rusty. To me, the frame looks pretty good. Iwould greatly appreciate any other insights or opinions before I drive 4 hours to look at this thing. Thanks.

Image 6416 shows the cut out square.

Edit: I know that there is some rust that has been spray painted over. I just cant tell if it's to hide rust, or to prevent further rust and the jeep is still solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
The frame seems to look great and we'll coated. Of course the true test is to knock the frame with a hammer or screw driver to make sure they didn't paint over any weak spots just to hide it, but IMO it looks pretty good!

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
24 Posts
This doesn't look too bad, but its not really a complete picture. See if you can get pictures of the rear shock mounts and maybe the steering box mount. The mounts seem to like to hold water and rot the top of the frame.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Looks that cut out is part of the floor pan that was replaced, not the frame?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yeah, certainly a rust repair. Maybe some water collected there. You'd want to see the other pan to compare. It's odd because it looks like they just placed the new part over the hole without welding it. Even it it's welded on top, leaving that gap between the metal at the bottom is asking for trouble. I would guess that this Jeep looked very rusty underneath. The frame has clearly been quickly hit with maybe some sand paper and rustoleum spray. They didn't even bother to do the inside face of the frame rails, which to me says coverup/quick sale. What else did they half ass to make this Jeep ready for sale? Being far away from you makes this is a risky buy IMHO.

·
Retired Moderator
102,574 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Yeah, certainly a rust repair. Maybe some water collected there. You'd want to see the other pan to compare. It's odd because it looks like they just placed the new part over the hole without welding it. Even it it's welded on top, leaving that gap between the metal at the bottom is asking for trouble. I would guess that this Jeep looked very rusty underneath. The frame has clearly been quickly hit with maybe some sand paper and rustoleum spray. They didn't even bother to do the inside face of the frame rails, which to me says coverup/quick sale. What else did they half ass to make this Jeep ready for sale? Being far away from you makes this is a risky buy IMHO.
I agree here... Fresh paint on the frame always scares me into thinking they are trying to cover something up to unload it quickly. You don't really know what kind of shape it is in until you get there and start digging into the frame yourself.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This YJ is pretty far from me. Very nice looking jeep. I'm looking at buying would really appreciate a jeep persons opinion on the frame and tub. In one of the pics I see a square that has been cut out of the bottom of the tub and replaced. Is this a rust repair, or is something else going on here?? The area around the repair does not look rusty. To me, the frame looks pretty good. Iwould greatly appreciate any other insights or opinions before I drive 4 hours to look at this thing. Thanks.

Image 6416 shows the cut out square.

Edit: I know that there is some rust that has been spray painted over. I just cant tell if it's to hide rust, or to prevent further rust and the jeep is still solid.
That frame looks good from what i can see in the pictures, the floor is unfortunate. The underside of the tub looks clean though it don't look like it's ever seen salt. My guess would be it leaked water and pooled on the floor for many years with no one fixing it. Floor pans aren't that bad to fix compared to a frame.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,438 Posts
If only it wasn't a 4cyl.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
I paint my frame as needed for cosmetic reasons. I have no plans to sell it. By looking at the unpainted part, it looks as good as my frame. I think the proof of the pudding would be good pics of the rear shackle mounts.
In the last pic it shows the Jeep will need a muffler in the near future.

BTW, it took me about 6 months to find my rig in an area with not much rust. Most of what I found were way overpriced or cobbled up messes where the seller was over his head as far as his ability and/or budget. You have to check the ads at least twice a day and have CASH (a stack of Benjamins in an envelope).

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts