Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some front end maintenance on my jeep and came across the tie rod that connects to the pitman arm and I believe the threaded side of it is bent. I can't remember how it use to look but I wouldn't think it should be flexed like that. Can someone please confirm before I pull it?

image-416529454.jpg

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Did you have the jeep jacked up and supported by the frame when you took the picture? It appears that the suspension on the passenger side is just drooped and the drag link is rotated on the ball joint making it look like that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have the jeep jacked up and supported by the frame when you took the picture? It appears that the suspension on the passenger side is just drooped and the drag link is rotated on the ball joint making it look like that.
Yes, it's supported by jack stands on the frame. I looked at another ball joint and realized they pivot hence the name ball joint I should have known that. That would make since as to why it's cocked like that but now I'm wondering if it's seized in that position. When I turn the steering wheel no matter the position it's in it stays cocked at an angle.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The tie rod end is what I think you're referring to and yes they look like that right out of the box. :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes, it's supported by jack stands on the frame. I looked at another ball joint and realized they pivot hence the name ball joint I should have known that. That would make since as to why it's cocked like that but now I'm wondering if it's seized in that position. When I turn the steering wheel no matter the position it's in it stays cocked at an angle.
It would stay at that angle as long as the axle is drooped on that side. Put it on the ground, then look at it. As Jerry said...perfectly normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts