Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put 37s on my 2013 2 door Rubicon and looking at upgrading the steering components. I've read some articles and seen some videos on the aluminum ones and like the idea of having the flexibility that aluminum offers. I was looking at the Barnes Offroad 1 Ton 7075 kit but it looks like it is on backorder right now. I also found the RPM Steering 2.5 Ton RPM-2003 kit. Both are about the same price. The RPM kit looks really beefy but not sure if that is overkill for what I need. I have a Teraflex 2.5" lift and am running aftermarket wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers so I don't think clearance will be an issue. Am I looking at good kits or should I be looking at something else? The only thing I've upgraded on steering so far is Teraflex HD ball joints and Teraflex Monster track bar.

Oh wise ones, please guide me.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’m in a similar boat as you. Looking to upgrade tie rod/drag link. I like the looks of the Rock Krawler tie rod but looks like it’s out of stock until mid March. There’s a local place that makes aluminum 1 ton and 2.5 ton steering close to me. I might go pick up a 2.5 ton set up. I’m running 37s too.
What kind of wheeling do you do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in a similar boat as you. Looking to upgrade tie rod/drag link. I like the looks of the Rock Krawler tie rod but looks like it’s out of stock until mid March. There’s a local place that makes aluminum 1 ton and 2.5 ton steering close to me. I might go pick up a 2.5 ton set up. I’m running 37s too.
What kind of wheeling do you do?
I like rock crawling so looking for something that can take a little more abuse. Let me know how the local place works out for you.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,709 Posts
Getting ready to put 37s on my 2013 2 door Rubicon and looking at upgrading the steering components. I've read some articles and seen some videos on the aluminum ones and like the idea of having the flexibility that aluminum offers. I was looking at the Barnes Offroad 1 Ton 7075 kit but it looks like it is on backorder right now. I also found the RPM Steering 2.5 Ton RPM-2003 kit. Both are about the same price. The RPM kit looks really beefy but not sure if that is overkill for what I need. I have a Teraflex 2.5" lift and am running aftermarket wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers so I don't think clearance will be an issue. Am I looking at good kits or should I be looking at something else? The only thing I've upgraded on steering so far is Teraflex HD ball joints and Teraflex Monster track bar.

Oh wise ones, please guide me.....
37's and larger is a good reason to go 2.5 ton aluminum....especially since you like the rocks....

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
I will hopefully ordering TMR's setup next week. If it is overkill so be it.

Reactions: IamN2Speed

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
2.5 ton is not overkill. i have seen a 1 ton aluminum tie rod shear in half because a tire was wedged and he had hydro assist.

Reactions: IndyRubicon17

·
Registered
4,929 Posts

Reactions: IndyRubicon17

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I’m running the 2.5 ton RPM kit on my 2013 JKUS with a 2.5” ST2 lift. It’s an exceptional upgrade and can take quite a bit of abuse. Make sure you get the stabilizer clamp and flip your stabilizer at the same time.

The picture I attached was following the upgrade with new TH ball joints but no stabilizer and it drove perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't get an email but still showing a wait list (which I should be on). Maybe they just sent the email to the people at the top of the list? I was looking at the Doetsch setup as well and it is in stock. I'll give it a couple days to see if Barnes gets them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts