Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a CB antenna mount and cable from Quadratec. The mount appears well made, but I have no clue how to get the cable connector through the rubber grommet on the tailgate.

The instructions call for the CB cable to be routed through the grommet that holds the 3rd brake light into the tailgate.

Here is a 3rd-party photo of the grommet:

Here is a photo of a CB cable connector:

This is what Quadratec says it should look like once everything is done:

The instructions provide NO indication how to get a connector made of steel through a rubber grommet with an orifice that is only 1/5 in size.

Does anyone know the trick to accomplish this? Does anyone have the words to the magic spell to make this happen...?

I already tried the only 4-letter spells I know but doesn't seem to be working... :D

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
I gave up trying to figure out how to fit it through. I cut a small notch around the edge and just have the cable running through that.

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know it's just not me!

There is another grommet on the opposite side of the tailgate. Since I am going to have to cut through rubber might as well do that one. Looks a lot easier: the rubber is much thinner and doesn't touch the 3rd brake light wiring.

Thanks!

PS - I normally expect more from Quadratec

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I gave up trying to figure out how to fit it through. I cut a small notch around the edge and just have the cable running through that.
I just saw your post about using one antenna for CB and AM/FM!

Originally I wanted to use a single antenna for CB and AM/FM using a splitter and a CB antenna mounted on the front passenger side. But I like your idea better: use one single antenna in the back!

I have the CB antenna mounted in the back. Sounds like can still use the splitter to get rid of the AM/FM antenna in the front? I'd love to get rid of that f-ugly AM/FM antenna.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My TerraFlex mount is on the opposite side. I ran mine through the passenger side grommet. I used unterminated RG-58 coax and soldered the connectors on after I determined how long the run needed to be.

I drilled a hole in the grommet and ran the coax through. The photo below was taken just before I pressed the grommet back in the tail gate opening.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just saw your post about using one antenna for CB and AM/FM!

Originally I wanted to use a single antenna for CB and AM/FM using a splitter and a CB antenna mounted on the front passenger side. But I like your idea better: use one single antenna in the back!

I have the CB antenna mounted in the back. Sounds like can still use the splitter to get rid of the AM/FM antenna in the front? I'd love to get rid of that f-ugly AM/FM antenna.
You sure can! Easiest way to do it is to mount the splitter behind the glovebox as it's pretty close to the radio there. I have mine set up this way and it's been working great for the past 8 months since I installed it

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I don't know how you'd get anything else through the grommet for the 3rd brake light without cutting it. It's not just a rubber grommet. There's a hard plastic piece molded in the center of it so you can't even pull the third brake light harness out of it.

I just cut a slot in mine when I needed to run some more wires through the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Gang,
The answer to the OPs issue and anyone else thinking about this is simple. CUT THE GROMMET. It's not all that hard. I split the grommet very carefully with a razor blade. And, as maybe stated, there is a center section that's harder. So, I think I cut through that with either a modified hack saw blade or, something that would cut through it. In any case, I got that grommet to completely split on one side.

Then, stick any and all wires through it, and, re-insert it back in to the hole, with the split side, facing downward. I was gonna glue it back together with some wet suit glue but, I figured why? When re-inserted, that grommet is sealing just as good with a slit in it, as it did without one. So, it's been in there now for almost two years and working great.
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts