Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be hard to describe, but hang with me.

I just bought this 2005 TJ X about a month ago. First time i put it in 4wd and drove it, the 4wd light would stay on after i returned it to 2wd. It would flicker a little then eventually turn off. Seemed to be fine. Today i put it into 4wd again and drove with it. While in 4wd, when driving then letting off the gas, it seems to grind or almost vibrate right under my feet. It quits if i take out of gear or stop. It has something to do with the clutch/being in gear/accelerating and decelerating. Im not sure how confusing this is, but it scares me that my 4wd is acting up with winter heading this way. It must be something between the clutch being in gear and the converter/transfer case being in 4wd. There absolutely no problem in 2wd, but in 4wd it acts up. And its sometimes hard to get into and out of 4wd. I think the PO put the drop linkage for the 4wd, but im not so sure anymore...

Any help is welcome. Cant afford to take it to a shop just yet..

-Kody

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. No, we were on a back road. I tried it 3 seperate times and it continued to do it

2. No, but i dont see how the u joints have anything to do with a grind/vibration from the tran/converter

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
4cylToy said:
1. No, we were on a back road. I tried it 3 seperate times and it continued to do it

2. No, but i dont see how the u joints have anything to do with a grind/vibration from the tran/converter
if it only does it in 4wd then its not coming from the tranny. its got to be from the transfer case to the axle. u joints can make that noise, so could a problem in the tcase. check u joints first. if they're ok, try taking off the front diff and putting it on Jack stands, start it up and try to get it to make the noise.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check u joints in the morning. Might get a video if I can. Sounds like it's right under the console/front seats. Not toward axle

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have heard that sound before! Its in your transfer case. You are not fully into 4wd (the adjuster has slipped out of alignment) or the chain that engages when you flip into 4wd is loose (happens over time) and is slipping, making the noise. Start with making sure it is adjusted properly, then if that doesn't help you may want to look at opening up the transfercase to see if the chain is loose.

This happened to me this summer, it kept popping out of 4lo and making this sound, scaring the crap out of me. Turned out to be out of alignment. 5 min job. I also read a guy on here a few months ago with the same sound that turned out to be the chain slipping.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I check if it's adjusted right without taking it apart?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not sure what the stock bracket looks like, but can someone tell me if this has the relocation bracket. I believe when you lift jeeps, the linkage is not right thus creating problems getting into and out of 4wd.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thanks to Sandy, were getting a foot of snow right now and im stuck. The freakin jeep wont go into 4hi. It goes into 4lo. And its still grinding. If the 4hi isnt engaging, would it make this noise? The Novak adapter looks appealing but im not spending $170 for it if it doesnt fix the grinding problem.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That looks like a stock linkage bracket to me.. Does your TJ have a body lift? Try disconnecting the linkage, and shove it into 4 hi manually, get in start it and see if it grinds, if not, problem solved.. If you do not have a body lift, then the linkage is not the problem..,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No body lift. It has a 4'' skyjacker sl with the tranny drop.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The bolt circled in red is what you need. Unscrew that a little so it can slide freely. Then push the actual arm on the transfercase so it pops into 4wd high. Then go inside the cab and move the 4wd lever up to the 4wd high position. While keeping the handle in place, tighten the bolt. This should realign the linkage.

But your pictures look different, so different years may have a different setup. This is the idea though.

Thanks to Jerry for the image
Fuel line Auto part Pipe Engine

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think i see it, Its right at the very top of my picture here

As soon as the snow clears, i will try this. Did yours make that grind noise?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
4cylToy said:
I think i see it, Its right at the very top of my picture here

As soon as the snow clears, i will try this. Did yours make that grind noise?
Yep thats it! And yes, mine did exactly what yours did, but in 4lo. The previous owner installed a TC drop without adjusting the linkage, so 4lo was pushing against the tub. My jeep would go for 20 seconds or so in 4lo but as soon as I gave it some gas or started putting more stress on it, it would pop out and make that exact same sound. Might want to spray a little WD40 or liquid wrench on that bolt! :thumb:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your awesome! I hope this works cuz I need 4wd. Over 2 feet of snow thanks to hurricane sandy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.