Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new uncut transponder key online and had it cut today. I read the directions, below and watched a couple of videos, but my Jeep will not go into "Customer Learn Programming Mode." While performing the steps, the Transponder light on the dash never starts flashing, but the Engine light does flash for a few seconds. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jeep Sentry Key Programming

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not sure how you are doing it. Link went to Morris4x4 page, but no "Key" link.

Have not tried this (as I only got 1 key) but is off this site.

Jeep Wrangler key

•Insert one of the two old keys into the ignition lock and turn it on. After the key has been in the on position for at least five seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the ignition back off.
•Remove the key and insert the second old key and turn it on within 15 seconds. A theft alarm light should light up after ten seconds and a single ding sound will tell you know that your car is ready to program your new key.
•Turn the second key off within 60 seconds and remove the key. Insert the new key you want to program and turn to the on position. After about ten seconds, a single ding will sound and the theft alarm light will stop. Wait five seconds and turn it off.
Your new key is now programmed and to program another key you will have to repeat the steps all over again.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Perhaps your jeep has already been programmed to eight keys so no more can be added

You do already have two working keys to use before adding the new one don't you?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cougarkid - Those are the exact directions I followed.

Digger84 - How would I find that out and reset it? Yes, I have two that work perfectly and was trying to train a third.

I'm really curious as to why my engine light goes from solid, to flashing, back to solid. Wondering if that is a message.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Only a dealer with the proper Akan tool and a unique to your vehicle 4 digit code can reset and remove keys learned to free up spots in the right

I also learned rack key has a write once code that is written when key is first learned and this means you cannot reuse a key that was previously programmed in another vehicle

You can set ignition tumblers so both vehicles you own accept same key cut but you cannot have both learn the same key

See this comment

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

From here

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

Perhaps your new key already had a programing attempt in another vehicle

My basic opinion is sentry key sucks especially on older vehicle you intent to keep and work on

Neither my rubi or sport has sentry key

My PT cruiser does

I know it is a theft preventive measure but all a thief needs in a non sentry key pcm and cut or unplug the module wires at The ign module

Ford had similar pats system but on my moms MGM I just swapped in a police interceptor pcm as better performance and all the police versions have no pats

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I guess I will just have to visit the dealership. Well, since it is my Jeep not going into "Customer Learn Programming Mode" with my two working keys, it does not have anything to do with my third key that needs to be programmed, because it was never placed in the tumbler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts