Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Didn't take me long to find myself needing to post in this part of the forum...

So I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2006 model which was overheating yesterday. Temp gauge at the max and check gauges light on. So i went to start with the basics of topping up the fluid level and i can't find the coolest reservoir! Pic attached.

Also I went to start it today and it ran for about 4 seconds then cut out. Also the thing beeps the whole time the keys in before you start it. Mucho annoying.

Im sure this is an ultra newbie post and i am quite good with engines. Ive only owned the damn thing a day so be nice to me hu :)

Anyway questions are - Where do i top up the coolant? do i just pour it in the top of the rad? if so how much to put in?
Is it normal for them to cut out like that? should i just have gunned the engine a bit to get it warmed up?

Ive attached a pic of my rad which hopefully will give you some clues that can help me.

Cheers dudes.

Attachments

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,051 Posts
Just look at the front of your radiator. The Radiator cap is on the top. Now just follow the overflow hose leaving the cap on the right side. That hose should be attached to your overflow bottle. If it isn't, then somebody removed the bottle and you then will need to purchase one and install it. In the picture, it looks like the bottle is missing. This bottle is a must for this cooling system!!!!!!!!!

Your coolant should be a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water.

Only remove the radiator cap, when the engine is cold. Removing it when hot is very dangerous. Then when cold fill the radiator with coolant with the cap off. Start your engine and let it warm up. Keep adding coolant until full. Add coolant to your overflow bottle, fill it up about 1/2 full. Keep a eye on the coolant in the bottle, because as the air bleeds from your system, you may need to add more coolant to your bottle.

Just a FYI, you are in the JK portion of the Forum, which is 2007 through 2015. But most of us have also owned TJ's. They are great Wranglers!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Old Dogger, Thanks for replying.

Thought I had posted in the TJ section. My bad.. maybe an admin will move this thread for me.

So am I right in thinking that the car will have no coolant whatsoever As it cycles it to the tank and back? The tank is missing the tube just hangs lose.

I'm in abu dhabi so no need for antifreeze lol. However I'm hoping my TJ holds up to its name as I reckon the guy before me has been driving it for ages like this!

Will try and limp it to the garage tomorrow and buy a bottle and get it filled up.

Also any input on my starting and beeping noise until she's started?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,051 Posts
Antifreeze also gives you boil over protection, plus a rust inhibitor. I highly recommend that you have the 50/50 antifreeze distilled water added!!!!!

As for your starting issue, well you may have some engine damage from the overheating issue. Maybe a cracked cylinder head, or blown head gasket.
You definitely need to get this issue evaluated A.S.A.P., or more progressive engine damage may occur.
It's possible, that it may need to be towed in to you Dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thank you for that. Not sure what to do...
Will probably drive it to the garage but will sleep on it.
thanks again for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts