Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Sahara. I bought it used and based on the condition it was in when I purchased it, it was clear the previous owner did some serious off-roading. In the last week I have noticed that the left blinker will start blinking fast while I drive. I just assumed a light had burnt out but when I checked it, it was not. Brake lights work perfectly, all front lights do as well. It is only when I use the left blinker do I have an issue with the back left light. It went away a couple of times on its own and would come back. As soon as I turned the car off and back on the issue would be gone. I did some research and found that often times this can happen because of excess mud and dirt caked into wiring behind the light. I took the back lights off and low and behold it was absolutely disgusting. I used a tooth brush to gently clean the dirt off of all the wires and connection ports; I checked the light bulbs themselves and there was absolutely nothing wrong. It's been about a week since I cleaned the lights and today I found that the issue returned. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and what the remedy was. I have a feeling it is just a sensor/electrical but I am not sure where to start. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
1,263 Posts
I would check the grounds again to be sure they are clean and tight. I would remove them to ensure they are clean as they can be tight while being dirty. If that doesn’t help, try swapping all the bulbs side for side. Do both front and rear at the same time at first. If it moves, only move front or rear back to original side. Wait to see what happens. If it moves then you have the culprit. It could be bulb, wiring or whole assembly. This will help rule out the bulbs. Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Perhaps check your trailer wiring harness for shorting (if so equipped). I think the trailer connector ties into the left rear tail lamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps check your trailer wiring harness for shorting (if so equipped). I think the trailer connector ties into the left rear tail lamp.
Unfortunately, I do not have a trailer wiring harness equipped so I am going to rule this out. Thank you for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for responding! After watching some Youtube videos and considering your comments it turned out to be a mix of grounding and the bulb. I purchased some electrical contact cleaner as @Shark_13 recommended and cleaned the internal portion of the grounds which were filled with dirt. Then, as @Sgt_USMC suggested I tested the bulbs and although not totally dead the bulb was definitely on its way out. After cleaning the grounds and replacing the bulb all seems to be fixed! I'm hoping that this was the solution, but as I mentioned in my original post when I first cleaned the grounds it lasted for a bout a week before problems started up again. As for now, I am going to consider the combination of the dirt and bulb the solution to the problem. If it seems to cause issues again I will update! Thanks again everyone :)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2014 JK Rubicon manual 2-door
100 Posts
Holy cow. This exact same issue is currently going on in my 2014. I'm terrified because I've done a ton of electrical work on this thing. I replaced it with an LED bulb and it lights up just fine, but still says "left turn signal out!" So I swapped it back to the OEM and it works fine. But now the message comes back every other day or so. I've read elsewhere that purchasing MOPAR replacement bulbs can fix it. They're not significantly more expensive, but still a PITA. I'll be following this thread and post anything I figure out as well. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts