Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, so I just had my fuel pump and fuel filter replaced on my 2005 Wrangler TJ. I went to fill up my tank and as I was filling, gas started spewing out at about 30 cents in. I can only fill my gas at about 30 cent increments, and sometimes it stops filling even when it's not full (the pump thinks the tank is full). It is a very irritating problem to have! Anybody have these issues?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mine has never spewed out, but it does like to randomly stop like it's full. I usually either fidget with it to find the sweet spot where it will keep pumping, or just fill it up very, very slowly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had this issue on a car at work no matter which fuel station or dispenser we used, it was always a problem. The dealer found that the evap canister was full of fuel caused by topping the tank to the top of the fuel neck. They also explained that any obstruction in the fuel neck will cause similar problems. Since you have just had work done, you will need to inspect the fuel system. Look for a kinked/disconnected hose to your evap canister or any other out of place piece. On some vehicles you can pull the evap canister and pour the fuel out of it if it has been flooded.

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is common on the 05 and 06. I have had one of each year, and they both did it. I can't understand how there is not a recall on this.

go to you tube and search on this
"Jeep Wrangler Fuel Overflow Repair"
you'll find a few videos that'll help you fix this. I haven't done it yet, but this will be one of my summer projects. Sounds like it's fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This has been a problem all along with my '05, especially in a state that does NOT let you pump your own gas. I won't go to gas station that won't let me pump my own gas as a result, because all the gas jockeys will just stick the pump in, turn it on and try and top it off. The result is a fountain of gas that comes spewing forth from my TJ.

So I have to be very careful about NOT filling up/topping off my gas. And even then it sometimes happens. YES, there should've been a recall!

With the OP..If your Jeep wasn't doing this before you had that work done and now it is, then I'd have that looked and fixed because you have a problem that you didn't have before.

Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle
shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.
Mine doesn't shut off repeatedly..quite the opposite. It doesn't SHUT OFF..it just keeps going and then it's overflowing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did this to my '05 LJR a year ago. Best thing I've done to date. I can lock the fuel nozzle on its highest setting without the pump cutting off or blowing gas all over me when it's full. As much time as our jeeps like to spend at the gas station, no one wants to have to fight filling up or leave smelling like gas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had this issue too. I replaced my filler neck with one out of a Chevy Trail Blazer. It has a check valve in it.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
I had the same problem with our 08 Liberty, it got worse over time until one day I was pumping gas into a tank that had about 1/4's worth of fuel in it and it would trip the pump and splash back at me. It is a common problem, I went online and found out Jeep had a lifetime warranty campaign on it. They replaced my gas tank free of charge. The dealer was going to try to charge me, but I had the campaign number and proof from Jeep corporate the repair was free. That basically shut them right down. Search to see if your year is covered, or call Jeep corporate and ask. Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Interesting link to the repair thanks. I still have an '05 that has no problems. Is something that will show up over time and should I consider doing this before the problem shows up or wait?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Both symptoms, the super slow fill rate issue and the spewing gas out of the filler neck when the tank reaches full are caused by the same defect in the 2005 and 2006 fuel tank. The actual problem in both cases is that the poppet valve, which is located where the fuel filler neck comes out of the tank, just below where the fuel filler hose attaches to the tank, gets stuck in it's travel guides. It can get stuck either open or closed. If it gets stuck open, you have the symptom where gas spews out when the tank reaches full and if it gets stuck closed, you can barely pump any gas into the tank.
The GM check valve inserted into the Jeep fuel filler hose, or replacing the fuel filler hose with the GM hose will stop gas from spewing out when the tank gets full. If you can't add gas, you need to take the filler hose off and manually jam the poppet valve open. I use a long screw driver and hammer to do this.
Once you jam the poppet valve open, you will have the fuel spewing out issue, so adding the GM flapper valve to the filler hose is a good idea in any event.
On one of my friends 05 LJ, he had the spewing out problem, so we added a GM check valve and about a year later, it stopped accepting fuel, so we had to go back in and jam the poppet back open as it had shifted and stuck in the closed position where it previously was stuck open.
The good news is that it is an inexpensive ($20) fix and is very easy to do, so there is no need to live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9V6vOY4JU

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both symptoms, the super slow fill rate issue and the spewing gas out of the filler neck when the tank reaches full are caused by the same defect in the 2005 and 2006 fuel tank. The actual problem in both cases is that the poppet valve, which is located where the fuel filler neck comes out of the tank, just below where the fuel filler hose attaches to the tank, gets stuck in it's travel guides. It can get stuck either open or closed. If it gets stuck open, you have the symptom where gas spews out when the tank reaches full and if it gets stuck closed, you can barely pump any gas into the tank. The GM check valve inserted into the Jeep fuel filler hose, or replacing the fuel filler hose with the GM hose will stop gas from spewing out when the tank gets full. If you can't add gas, you need to take the filler hose off and manually jam the poppet valve open. I use a long screw driver and hammer to do this. Once you jam the poppet valve open, you will have the fuel spewing out issue, so adding the GM flapper valve to the filler hose is a good idea in any event. On one of my friends 05 LJ, he had the spewing out problem, so we added a GM check valve and about a year later, it stopped accepting fuel, so we had to go back in and jam the poppet back open as it had shifted and stuck in the closed position where it previously was stuck open. The good news is that it is an inexpensive ($20) fix and is very easy to do, so there is no need to live with it.
I would like to try this, do you by any chance have a part number on it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
So how difficult is this fix anyway? If it's done without pulling the fuel tank or dealing with raw gas with some hand tools I'm up for it. I'd love to stop having to worry about it. Dealing with it in the only damn state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas makes it worse. I only go to stations that let me do it myself. Thank goodness I'm moving soon.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting thread. I've always stopped filling at the first click, but my '05 recently started spewing fuel when filling. I figured it was me not getting the pump nozzle in at the right position. I ordered the GM fuel hose and hopefully that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So how difficult is this fix anyway? If it's done without pulling the fuel tank or dealing with raw gas with some hand tools I'm up for it. I'd love to stop having to worry about it. Dealing with it in the only damn state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas makes it worse. I only go to stations that let me do it myself. Thank goodness I'm moving soon.
No dropping the tank and simple handtools took care of it. Easily can be done in under an hour, probably closer to 30 minutes. I did on my '06 LJ about 10 months ago and it solved the problem probably 95% of the time (still an occasional "burp" but pretty rare now).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts