Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this with you guys, my windshield wiper motor went inop on me a couple months ago, so I finally began to investigate today. Fearing that it was the motor and I didn't have the money to shell out for a new one, I just kept driving it hoping for it not to rain lol. But nope, just a disconnected arm from the motor shaft. A terribly easy fix. So I just wanted to say for those of you with "big problems" to not sweat it, it might be something small, just troubleshoot instead of worrying. That's all thanks.

Automotive exterior Bumper Windshield Vehicle door Auto part

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Your right. Im sick of certified parts replacers. Mechanics need to troubleshoot, and not by replacing things to "see what works".

Mechanics out there; learn your pnumatics, hydrolics, electronics, learn machining, welding etc... With an understanding of all systems you'll be unstoppable in the market as to what your capable of troubleshooting.

Good job finding the trouble easy and cheap. And most the time, a new wiper motor would have been installed and yes, either would fix the problem becase the new motor would need an arm hooked up to it lol. You'd just be a out the money and your perfectly good motor would either be re-sold or set aside for scrap.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And you could not HEAR the motor running when you turned on Wiper Switch??
I did but I thought it was too weak to move the arms.

Your right. Im sick of certified parts replacers. Mechanics need to troubleshoot, and not by replacing things to "see what works".

Mechanics out there; learn your pnumatics, hydrolics, electronics, learn machining, welding etc... With an understanding of all systems you'll be unstoppable in the market as to what your capable of troubleshooting.

Good job finding the trouble easy and cheap. And most the time, a new wiper motor would have been installed and yes, either would fix the problem becase the new motor would need an arm hooked up to it lol. You'd just be a out the money and your perfectly good motor would either be re-sold or set aside for scrap.

Exactly that's why I'm a real advocate of DIY, you'll never know what you you'll find if you don't look first. Somethings you won't have enough knowledge or tools for, but at least attempt it yourself first, you may just learn something you never knew before.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Same thing happened on a MG of mine (well about)

Wipers quit at the top. I looked and looked for a few days then one day hit the wipers in anger and this little washer went flying and the worked. Guess I dropped it in there one day and it landed in a good bind spot

My friend went to all the schooling for trouble shooting and how cars actually work.

Every shop he's worked at has fired him with some bogus reason.

Real reason is clear.

They make more money fixing problems with parts and not tweaks.

They'd rather rewire a car then clean up a bad ground.
Or replace all 4 tires rather than find one at 50% tread to match the other 3.

Or by new rims rather than clean up a seal.

He's washing windows at OMSI right now.
Gets along with the boss better than any other place he's worked at.

He's who I turn to when I can't figure it out. I pay him decent + a 6 pack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts