Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Is it the correct fan, or was that changed, too?
Quick and easy fan clutch check:
While warmed up and at idle, take an empty water bottle (plastic) and see if you can stop the fan with it. Good clutch will beat up the bottle. Bad clutch will let you stop the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Could the fan itself be in backwards? Buddy did that on his older Jeep, and could not figure out why it kept heating up when idling. He said it was on with the blades reversed, and when he changed the fan clutch he must have put it on backwards

Registered
Make sure that the fan and thermostat are installed correctly. If so, test the fan clutch by getting the engine up to normal operating temp, then, with the hood open and a friend at the ignition switch, have him/her shut the engine off, and you count how many revolutions the fan makes after the engine stops. If it's close to, or more than 3-4 replace the fan clutch.

Registered
I know I know I know...there鈥檚 plenty of posts out there discussing about tj鈥檚 overheating. So here is what I鈥檝e done; I鈥檝e changed the radiator (oem) autozone brand perhaps idk but definitely not mopar. It also has a new water pump, thermostat & housing, clutch fan and all gaskets, oh and all new hoses as well. Now it seems to cruise around 210 while driving but say it鈥檚 Tuesday and I want tacos from Taco Bell, I pull up to the drive thru and there鈥檚 a few car ordering as well.... my shit will start rising. Eventually, if I don鈥檛 move it will continue to creep up till the check engine lights up. I don鈥檛 know what else to do. Ppl say that OEM radiators should be sufficient and buying an all aluminum radiator is pointless. But that鈥檚 all I have left to go to...an upgrade. What do you guys suggest....change the thermostat to a lower temperature one or upgrade to an aluminum radiator?
I know I know I know...there鈥檚 plenty of posts out there discussing about tj鈥檚 overheating. So here is what I鈥檝e done; I鈥檝e changed the radiator (oem) autozone brand perhaps idk but definitely not mopar. It also has a new water pump, thermostat & housing, clutch fan and all gaskets, oh and all new hoses as well. Now it seems to cruise around 210 while driving but say it鈥檚 Tuesday and I want tacos from Taco Bell, I pull up to the drive thru and there鈥檚 a few car ordering as well.... my shit will start rising. Eventually, if I don鈥檛 move it will continue to creep up till the check engine lights up. I don鈥檛 know what else to do. Ppl say that OEM radiators should be sufficient and buying an all aluminum radiator is pointless. But that鈥檚 all I have left to go to...an upgrade. What do you guys suggest....change the thermostat to a lower temperature one or upgrade to an aluminum radiator?
i had same problem get a belt tension gauge u will be surprised how loose your belt really is

Registered
No offense but the biggest issue for inexperienced do it your selfers is being cheap. The AutoZone CPS costs half as much as the OEM Mopar part but there are thousands of posts out there on professional auto sites that the techs us saying the aftermarket CPS tend to be defective and will let you sit unexpectedly. I went thru three AZ CPS til I found a shop that told me this, trying to say $15 in the beginning cost me hundreds in the end. Same with radiators. You get what you pay for, when I have to replace a radiator I get a quality aluminum one for about $400. If you don't think its an advantage getting an aluminum performance radiator (and not the damn cheap ones on Ebay) then you are taking advice from the wrong people. I've gone with Mishimoto radiators with three Jeeps now and I have no regrets. Lifetime warranty and my coolant temps are 15 to 20 degrees lower than with the OEM radiator.

I learned my lesson well with those $100 radiators. Had one that left me stranded in BFE after just one month. Could have bought me 2 of those $400 radiators for what it cost to have me towed to civilization and paid for another non OEM radiator. I had another that the filler neck was deformed and would not seal with the cap on , right out of the box.

Your cooling issues could be a combination of a number of things like thermostat, water pump or internal engine issues by running it too long overheated in the past.

Take it to a real mechanic, be prepared to spend a wad of cash and get it fixed right. Just remember, Just Empty Every Pocket, that's what owning a Jeep is.

Registered
You don't mention what configuration you have. There are many. I6, I4, DOHC 4, and they're all different. For example I bought my 2006 TJ not knowing that there were 2 different 4 cyl models. Mine is the DOHC (dual overhead cam) version. In my model, it has a factory installed electric fan. There are 2 relays that control that fan. A high speed, and a low speed. I found my TJ overheated in slow traffic and found that the low speed function was not working. If I turned on the AC, the High speed would run. There are 3 leads to the fan as well, a low. speed, high speed, and ground. The ground is wired through a circuit breaker to ground. But if you don't have an electric fan (yes friends they do come from the factory) then all that means nothing. If you fan has a viscous clutch, then your fan may not be pulling enough air. As other's have said, a thermostat installed incorrectly could be a culprit, if you are loosing coolent, you also may have a leaking head gasket. You wouldn't see leakage, but you could see steam in your exhaust. All of this is just shotgunning the issue since I don't really know what you have.

Registered
I have also replaced a radiator in a TJ (1999). After the radiator replacement, I noticed overheating when stationary and at idle. I had the heater core flushed out and it took care of the overheating. Only problem now is the heater core keeps getting clogged up from the debris already in the system from the rusting/disintegration of the factory radiator and I don't get good heat in the cabin when I turn on the heater. Eventually, I plan to replace the heater core.

Registered
My factory radiator (2014 jk) cracked so I replaced everything anyway. Bought it used at 19k. Once everything was done I was still having an overheating issue. I was amazed to find out mine uses a specific coolant (I didn鈥檛 even know that was a thing). I got the coolant from the dealership (not cheap) and made sure I had it properly filled. Problem solved. I don鈥檛 know about your model but it鈥檚 worth checking since you are running down a laundry list of items and costs without resolution.
I dont use the stock radiator or heater core but I did upgrade quite a bit ;)
Just don鈥檛 go cheap on parts. Like everyone else says you truly do get what you pay for. Going cheap can cause serious issues with other components so please heed the warnings. I have a project 06 liberty that鈥檚 still my daily beater and off road recovery vehicle and I鈥檓 what slows things down is:
1. I don鈥檛 waste time on cheap parts.
2. I read other people鈥檚 write ups and am a big fan of YouTube. Always check more than one posted video.
3. have a manual and follow it.
4. Verify all your parts are in fact the right ones. All fluids are exact. All videos and information is accuarate. And Take Your Time. Don鈥檛 do a rush job if you want things to work well.
Just my 2 1/3 cents.

Registered
Try a new radiator cap. May not be pressuring up. I've had a similar problem. Turned off the engine when hot and overflowed the coolant bottle a couple of times. When it cools it draws it back into the radiator, but after a few times there is less and less to draw from. Eventually the bottle is empty and the radiator is actaually low on coolant..... Try less expensive first then work towards expensive.....try a new cap.

Registered
I have also replaced a radiator in a TJ (1999). After the radiator replacement, I noticed overheating when stationary and at idle. I had the heater core flushed out and it took care of the overheating. Only problem now is the heater core keeps getting clogged up from the debris already in the system from the rusting/disintegration of the factory radiator and I don't get good heat in the cabin when I turn on the heater. Eventually, I plan to replace the heater core.
Flush the entire cooling system.

Premium Member
Mopar radiators cannot rust. They are aluminum with plastic top and bottom sections. The rust and debris you mention can only have one source - the engine block.

Registered
Mopar radiators cannot rust. They are aluminum...
They can but thats a whole different argument ;) Rgreen65 is correct - your problem lies in the cast iron block and possibly the coolant. Is it possible that the incorrect coolant type was used on your engine? Mixing different types can cause unusual reactions leading to sludge build up which can block heater cores and radiator fins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts