Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the land of the Home of the NRA, replacing your halogen bulbs with LED bulbs is a no go.

In addition, replacing your rear backup lights with LED also falls in this category. Evidently backup lights are not for seeing but for letting people know you are backing up .... silly me.

Any cover over your rear break lights, nope!!

Below is a handy link, for those that live in Virginia, and want to check before you buy that upgrade, "Will it fail VA state inspection?"

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,936 Posts
Ya, I never registered my vehicles there when I lived in C-Ville. Too many rules, not enough common sense.

Any light not stamped DOT is potential for failure anywhere. Depends on the anal retentiveness of the examiner.

Light covers are not automatic DQ. I had that issue here in Tx when I had my last inspection for my 2017. I pulled up the build sheet and showed them the build came with the MOPAR tail light surrounds. Now if you have an American Flag design or something that blocks light escaping, thats a different story.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
In addition, replacing your rear backup lights with LED also falls in this category. Evidently backup lights are not for seeing but for letting people know you are backing up .... silly me.

Along these lines, I notice a lot of new cars will now turn their backup lights on, when the driver is simply approaching the vehicle. I guess to light up the area behind the vehicle so he/she doesn't walk into the back-end.

I am surprised that this is even allowed, legally.

For me, the backup lights being on, use to translate to watch-out, the vehicle is about to backup. Not any more.

·
Registered
738 Posts
To the OP, replacing the BULBS is a no go, but if you read on, replacing the entire assembly that does not modify the wiring is Ok as long as it is DOT stamped assembly.

"NOTE: If the headlamp system is stamped to accept halogen bulbs, then the replacement bulbs must be halogen as well. Retrofitting an HID or LED bulb to a halogen headlamp system does not conform to the standards set forth by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and shall be rejected.

If the entire headlamp assembly is changed from a halogen system to an LED system and does not require the manufacture's original wiring to be cut or compromised, then it shall be considered for inspection if it meets the requirements of subdivision A 2 of this section.

2. Headlights are not of the same approved type (Halogen, HID, LED, etc.) except for sealed beam headlamps, or the replacement headlamp system does not contain all properly marked DOT and SAE stamps certifying that it has met and complied with the standards set forth by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108.

NOTE: Replacement headlamps stamped with a DOT or SAE approval shall be considered approved by the Superintendent of State Police and will not be required to be listed on the Virginia Motor Vehicle Approved Equipment List."

Also LED backups are approved if lenses are clear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, I used to live in WV but never imagined that VA could be so anal retentive in their inpections. come to think of it I never had an inspection in WV. Now that I think more about it I am pretty sure I just borrowed my aunt's license plate (she had 2 after all)... that was decades ago.

I thought Illinois was bad with the emissions test every 2 years but VA sounds ridiculous with all the rules.

Got pulled over a few weeks ago with seriously bright LED fogs (on), LED headlights with blue halos (also on), uncovered a-pillar trail lights (off). The cop just asked me to slow down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Here in Calif we are still free, but we pay for it. I would never even drive my JK back there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the land of the Home of the NRA, replacing your halogen bulbs with LED bulbs is a no go.

Any cover over your rear break lights, nope!!

Below is a handy link, for those that live in Virginia, and want to check before you buy that upgrade, "Will it fail VA state inspection?"

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/
Whacked out liberals who want to control your life.

·
Registered
347 Posts
NH is pretty relaxed on inspections as long as you don't have blatant BS parts on your Jeep. Only emissions check is the CEL being lit

·
Super Moderator
15,028 Posts
A few years back, Virginia was on our list of possible retirement locations. Then I found out about their insane vehicle inspections.... Of course what is going on there right now should scare everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Been in VA for six years now. Only failed once because of side marker that was out. Never because if a modification.

It's easy to pass inspections here, just read the inspection rules and follow along.

You can still mod, just do it within the letter if the inspection. Hell, we can have 4" of tire outside of our fenders. Aux lights don't need to be covered, exhaust mods are fine as long as it dumps near the rear, lifts are legal, large tires are legal, LEDs are legal of you have the dot stamp.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Florida had inspections briefly in the 90s. It sucked. I don't know why people put up with that or state income tax. I'm constantly worried the south Fl retirees are going to vote us into the same hole they fled...

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Florida had inspections briefly in the 90s. It sucked. I don't know why people put up with that or state income tax. I'm constantly worried the south Fl retirees are going to vote us into the same hole they fled...
That was only for emissions though.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Wow, I used to live in WV but never imagined that VA could be so anal retentive in their inpections. come to think of it I never had an inspection in WV. Now that I think more about it I am pretty sure I just borrowed my aunt's license plate (she had 2 after all)... that was decades ago.

I thought Illinois was bad with the emissions test every 2 years but VA sounds ridiculous with all the rules.

Got pulled over a few weeks ago with seriously bright LED fogs (on), LED headlights with blue halos (also on), uncovered a-pillar trail lights (off). The cop just asked me to slow down.

Please never drive with Blue Halos on. Thats SHOULD have been a ticket if the cop was doing his job.

·
Registered
164 Posts

you have emissions testing in illinois ? central illinois doesn't have that.
i think it was late 70's when they stopped pickup truck inspections. haven't been through one since

·
Super Moderator
5,138 Posts
VA has a damocrat governor and damocrat senators. yes, they like control.
Uhhhh, it is near 50 / 50 with the advantage in power and control going to republicans most of the time. The current situation is unusual for that state, and the rules and regs, along with all the personal property taxes (VA seems to tax everything you own) predate the current power dynamic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Uh, What?
Virginia, liberal? No.
Virginia is a majority republican state. They seem to want to control your life too....

The vast majority of VA is republican, however, the large democratic population of northern VA has now taken control and runs the state. I grew up in a small town near DC and now live in rural VA, about 70 miles SW of DC, but it has become a commuter community.

Unfortunately, all politicians want to control your life. They're more concerned about getting elected than doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Items that will fail Alaska State Inspection...

Nothing. We don't have a state inspection for anything, including emissions. I replaced my halogen headlights with LED headlights...no problem. My windshield had numerous cracks and chips...no problem. I replaced the backup lights in both my pickups with 1000 lumen LED lights...no problem.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts