Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The vast majority of VA is republican, however, the large democratic population of northern VA has now taken control and runs the state. I grew up in a small town near DC and now live in rural VA, about 70 miles SW of DC, but it has become a commuter community.

Unfortunately, all politicians want to control your life. They're more concerned about getting elected than doing the right thing.
VA just turned blue 3 years ago. The rules that everyone is mad about were on the books a good decade before the Democratic party took over.

I will say that I see fewer rusted out schidtboxes leaving parking lot stains in Northern VA than in other places with lenient inspections. And I'm not saying VA schidtboxes don't exist. But per capita, you don't see too many cars like this...

·
Registered
765 Posts
As I posted way up above, the base post is misleading. Read the RSA linked by the OP.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Along these lines, I notice a lot of new cars will now turn their backup lights on, when the driver is simply approaching the vehicle. I guess to light up the area behind the vehicle so he/she doesn't walk into the back-end.

I am surprised that this is even allowed, legally.

For me, the backup lights being on, use to translate to watch-out, the vehicle is about to backup. Not any more.
If you pay close attention, you'll notice all the cars you see do that are GM.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Being from PA, a state with inspections and more stringent vehicle codes, I am actually OK with an annual safety inspection.

I am sure everyone on this forum is tuned into their vehicle and what it may need because we are automotive enthusiasts. Think about everyone else driving down the road. Some drivers idea of maintenance is filling the gas tank, never giving consideration to the condition of their tires, brakes or steering components.

·
Registered
600 Posts
VA just turned blue 3 years ago. The rules that everyone is mad about were on the books a good decade before the Democratic party took over.

I will say that I see fewer rusted out schidtboxes leaving parking lot stains in Northern VA than in other places with lenient inspections. And I'm not saying VA schidtboxes don't exist. But per capita, you don't see too many cars like this...

I'm not complaining about inspection requirements. I'd rather have safe cars on the road. But I'm amazed at the amount of truly bald tires I see on cars in parking lots. It does seem silly that I've been failed for wiper blades or an led turn signal bulb. But the intent is good. I'm thankful for emissions inspections too, especially after a mission trip to a country with none.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
A majority of the schidtboxes self eliminate in the late summer. After 60-70 days of no rain during the height of summer, eventually there's a light sprinkle one day.

Just start counting how many PoS cars are flipped on the roadside, or jammed into someone's rear bumper. All with shiny, smooth, worn out tires. A ton of people barely pass inspection with tires that only have 2-3 months MAX left in the tread and by the time they're due for an inspection they're riding on tires where the only tread left are the exposed steel belts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A majority of the schidtboxes self eliminate in the late summer. After 60-70 days of no rain during the height of summer, eventually there's a light sprinkle one day.

Just start counting how many PoS cars are flipped on the roadside, or jammed into someone's rear bumper. All with shiny, smooth, worn out tires. A ton of people barely pass inspection with tires that only have 2-3 months MAX left in the tread and by the time they're due for an inspection they're riding on tires where the only tread left are the exposed steel belts.
We apparently live in vastly different places. The last time I saw a vehicle with bald tires was at least a decade ago.

I remember buying used tires one at a time in WV when I was a kid but now I just buy nearly new takeoffs if I am not ready to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Virginia has a lift law, if memory serves me right 32" to the bottom of the rear bumper. The old mayor of Virginia Beach proposed it after going to the oceanfront on a weekend and getting scared of all of the tall lifted trucks (there was some pretty crazy lifts back then). I've owned two vehicles that pushed the lift law to the millimeter :)

·
Commercial Member
66 Posts
Fla Native- vehicle inspections

In the 1970's they did a full inspection. If you unscrewed the covers to your headlights, they would even adjust them for you.

I got my "Birds and the Bees" lesson waiting to get our 1969 Ford Country Squire inspected. That had to have been 1976, 1977 since I'm 53 now.

·
Commercial Member
66 Posts
Fla Native here. Only one on our street

We're in Central Fla - Kissimmee area. Here in the Isles of Bellalago, my wife and I are the ONLY native Floridians on the street. Everyone else is NY, NJ, PA, MI.

And all the Puerto Ricans all seem to be from New York. I always tell them they could have save a bunch of time and money and come here directly!

Liberal Snowbird voters scare me more than the alligators and mosquitoes combined.

·
Retired Moderator
100,459 Posts
Where I live in Arizona, we don’t have vehicle inspector, and that includes emissions. Plus we can run without doors, or fenders. Our state is Jeep friendly..

Reactions: pc1p and Firebourne

·
Registered
263 Posts
Uhhhh, it is near 50 / 50 with the advantage in power and control going to republicans most of the time. The current situation is unusual for that state, and the rules and regs, along with all the personal property taxes (VA seems to tax everything you own) predate the current power dynamic.
The state codes concerning compliance with federal DOT go back about 70 years, in fact from way back when Fed. Transportation was in Fed. Commerce Dept federal truck and automotive glass and lighting standards were promulgated within US Dept of Commerce).Very few states don't have code about lighting and glass be federally approved. Such regs do not tend to be partisan Anyway in the mid Atlantic and East Coast, say Ct., NY, NJ, Pa,Md, Va the state GOPs tends to support lower taxes but are is not as anti-regulatory or as libertarian as the GOP is elsewhere.

There is also a arbitrary level of enforcement and interpretation of safety and equipment standards even when the code is the same or similar., We have states in the mid Atlantic where you can ride a motorcycle with no helmet but cant ride you jeep with doors off.

As far as overall taxes, say compared to same region shared major metro Maryland, net taxes in Maryland are from 1%. to 3% higher for most working persons. As, while Maryland state income tax schedule is slightly lower, Maryland allows counties and municipalities to tax a lot more.

In terms political party alignment in Virginia, both houses of its legislature and it statewide elected executive officers., (Gov., Lt. Gov, Attn Gen etc) are Democrats. The academic analysis of voting in Virginia and movement toward Democrat control cite two phenomena: alignment of first gen voting Latin American immigrants, especially female ones, to Democrat party, and increased direct federal employment and dependence on federal employment (say a private business with lots of contacts or costumers being federal employees) which of course would create an interest in larger federal employment, therefor favoring Democrats who generally espouse larger federal government. That is why the major inroads by Democrats are in Northern Virginia which is now solid blue.

Again back to this issue you would need to objectively look at actual inspection failure as well as actually police pull over and citation rates for non compliance (say of custom suspension, custom of old exhaust system, glass tint, additional lighting) for same issues across all or a group of states to establish relative regulatory effect. Those effects will probably not result from difference in legislative code, but differences in gubernatorial appointed personnel, say head of state DOT or state police views and enforcement decisions, ie administrative regulation law and regulatory decisions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having lived in California for 30 years, it's good to hear about others complaining about vehicle inspections in their states too! :)

Back when I lived in Illinois, the only issue with vehicle inspections I had was getting old rusted pickup trucks to pass, cars weren't inspected then. I actually bought a used Cadillac hearse to carry construction supplies because few of the trucks available for $500 would pass inspections. The hearse was built on the extended limo chassis with the 472ci engine and the "cargo" area was 55" x 9' long with a huge door at the rear.

Here in California the challenge is passing the C.A.R.B. emissions tests, but that hasn't stopped me from adding a Banks turbo, header, and cat-back system to my "05 Rubicon Unlimited. As long as it's property tuned up and has the C.A.R.B. approval stickers I sail through the tests. Like anywhere else, the testing can be pretty arbitrary, some places will do whatever they can to help you pass, some seem to do whatever they can to make you fail. You soon learn which is which and go to the friendly ones.

Where I live is actually pretty great for 'wheeling - the Hollister off-road park is about an hour away and has lots of mud in the rainy season. The Pismo beach sand dunes are about 3 hours away, and the Rubicon and Fordyce rock-crawling trails are both about 3 ~ 4 hours away. I've lived in Illinois, southern Wisconsin, central and south Florida and have enjoyed the 'wheeling available there too.

Maybe we could all back off on bashing others for their political views, where they choose to live, etc. I'm happy with my choices and don't need to insult others for theirs to make me feel better about mine. We all have Jeeps and enjoy different kinds of off-roading, so let's celebrate our similarities and ignore the differences.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I got transferred to Va at the end of 1980. Not only did you have to have a vehicle inspection sticker on your windshield, you had to have a city/county sticker showing that you had paid the vehicle taxes as well. If you bought a new car, it had a 1 year inspection sticker, but after that it was every six months. Some locations were sticklers, others not so much.

Georgia had vehicle inspections for a short time in the '80s (while I was in Va). But they complained that it was discriminatory against poor people who had a harder time maintaining their vehicles, so they abolished it. Really don't see many junkers around though.

So, now, no inspections. They also did away with the annual vehicle tax almost 10 years ago. You pay the state sales tax on the difference of the book value of the new purchase and the TI of the old vehicle. No matter how much or how little you actually paid for it, but then after that, you only pay the tag fee which for motor vehicles is $20. With the veterans plate on the TJ, it's no charge and I only pay $20 a year on the Chief.

There is a state income tax but it's not terribly oppressive like some states. And for those that are 62-64 years old, there is a $35,000 exclusion on your state taxable income and once you reach 65 that exclusion is $65,000. For the younger folks, it peaks at 6%. The offset is that property taxes are a lot lower than our neighbors to the south. We have many residents in S. Georgia who moved to Florida, discovered the higher gas taxes and the higher property taxes and moved north just across the line.

Running doorless is not a problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are there differences? We are all Jeepers, as far as I am concerned you all are basically family. We're all the same big tribe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts