Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
New Jersey here. Used to have long lines and ridiculous inspections. Some examples are a chip or crack in the front windshield, even if it was on the passenger side was failed. They checked ball joints, when they did this they used a built in floor jack, I've seen several slip of. Headlight alignment was also checked with a graduated white screen, also rust holes failed inspection. Now because of budget cuts it's emission only using the DLC link. Nothing else matters. No brake check, lights, tires, mechanical whatsoever. NJ land of high taxes, anti gun and more laws than most all states. We are not even allowed to pump our own gasoline. Imagine that.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Of course each state has it's quirks and collection of weird laws. One weird thing Georgia has that is actually helpful is on rural roads when approaching a stop sign you will generally go over three sets of rumble strips to warn you of the stop sign. I have not generally encountered then in any other state. I don't even know if it common in N. Georgia or just S. Georgia. (They at times act like two different states, and you can throw Atlanta in as a third one).

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Florida had inspections briefly in the 90s. It sucked. I don't know why people put up with that or state income tax. I'm constantly worried the south Fl retirees are going to vote us into the same hole they fled...
That was only for emissions though.
Florida inspections were more than emissions-only when I first started driving; those safety inspections were eliminated in the very early 80s.
Emissions inspections carried on a bit longer, but were required on a county-by-county basis – mostly the major metropolitan areas. My county required the emission inspection while the three neighboring ones did not. Believe the emissions inspections went away in the late 80s or very early 90s.
I am not opposed to safety inspections given some of the absolute crap seen on the roads were the inspections to be handled in a much more efficient manner than before.
Have property in VA that has been in the family 225+ years, but with the taxes and current regime in Richmond, moving back as a full-time resident is off of the table.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
VA just turned blue 3 years ago. The rules that everyone is mad about were on the books a good decade before the Democratic party took over.

I will say that I see fewer rusted out schidtboxes leaving parking lot stains in Northern VA than in other places with lenient inspections. And I'm not saying VA schidtboxes don't exist. But per capita, you don't see too many cars like this...

Wow; didn’t realize Honda made a Harlequin.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Florida inspections were more than emissions-only when I first started driving; those safety inspections were eliminated in the very early 80s.
Emissions inspections carried on a bit longer, but were required on a county-by-county basis – mostly the major metropolitan areas. My county required the emission inspection while the three neighboring ones did not. Believe the emissions inspections went away in the late 80s or very early 90s.
I am not opposed to safety inspections given some of the absolute crap seen on the roads were the inspections to be handled in a much more efficient manner than before.
Have property in VA that has been in the family 225+ years, but with the taxes and current regime in Richmond, moving back as a full-time resident is off of the table.
Yes, before early 80s they were pretty stringent. Need to come back honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
600 Posts
My wife's JKU Recently failed VA safety inspection due to LED spare tire light ring that retains the OEM 3rd brake light. Failed due to no DOT tag on the light.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
My wife's JKU Recently failed VA safety inspection due to LED spare tire light ring that retains the OEM 3rd brake light. Failed due to no DOT tag on the light.
Are you sure its not there?

I know the marking on my aftermarket taillights is VERY difficult to see, but it is there.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Are you sure its not there?

I know the marking on my aftermarket taillights is VERY difficult to see, but it is there.
I didn't check. The shop was willing to remove it so they could pass it and I didn't check when I reinstalled it. I'll look it over when I rotate the tires in ~3k miles. I was more concerned about passing inspection rather than fighting the fight.

Update: I checked the company's website and found the following statement.
The Quadratec Spare Tire LED Brake Light Ring is a non-DOT approved accessory and NOT intended to replace the original equipment center high-mount stop light.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts