Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well start up a build log for this thing, Granted i will not be doing much with it till spring but at least i will have somewhere to post updates in the future.

The specs as i know them currently.

Unknown year (Have vins for a 92 and 94 so not sure which actually belong to the Jeep.)
4.0 HO with 3 speed auto

Mods at this point:

2" Body lift (unfinished and missing hardware)
At least half of a BDS 3.5" Suspension lift (Rear springs are for sure not sure on fronts.)
Custom grille

Mods planned:

Daystar 1" Body lift to replace unfinished 2" lift and to lower the jeep slightly.
Possibly replace front springs with another pair of BDS springs to ensure it sits level.

2x5" Rectangular tubing front bumper with winch plate for Warn 8274 Winch

Rear receiver hitch similar to curt hitch but with extra bracing
Replace thin wall 4x4 rear bumper with stock bumperettes
Bestop Highrock Tire carrier
Either Rancho 5000 shocks for now or Bilstien 5100 series shocks. More then likely Ranchos for now to get it running then upgrade to the 5100s or some King shocks later down the line.

Transfer case drop kit to improve the driveshaft angle especially the rear. This will be combined with an SYE kit eventually. At the same time a True Neutral kit will be added to the Tcase. This will allow flat towing without spinning parts in the drivetrain.

Interior plans:

Tuffy or Similar CJ style locking glove box
Kicker 4x6 speakers in dash and vdp wheel well speaker pods or overhead sound bar.
Center console built from .50 Cal ammo can

replacing the rear seat so my nieces can ride in the Jeep.

I have also picked up another Jeep YJ tub and chassis that will be built into a utility trailer. I will use the springs that came out of the front of the jeep for this combined with a trailer axle. Ideally i will manage to use a trailer axle with the same wheel bolt pattern as the Jeep. If not it is not a major problem as i could adapt it to match the Jeep with adapters. The jeep itself may get some adapters to run some Turbine wheels from my C10 on it.

Cutting out the firewall between the cowl and toeboard
Replacing the dash itself with a flat panel that goes down the floor. Combined with a flat panel in place of the firewall itself this will create a void to put a small battery as well as various trailer related wiring inside of.

The tank is still on the donor jeep so i plan on using it as an aux fuel tank. Still working out how i am going to connect it to the jeep itself. I may just go with the k.i.s.s principle here and just have a transfer hose in a compartment on the tongue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get it from????

Got it from an old friend of my dads. He got it in a deal he made for a truck he was getting rid of as he had wanted to get a Jeep for himself to convert to Diesel either using a VW 1.8 TDI or a Cummins 4BT. However i managed to talk him into selling it to me and pointing him in the direction of looking for a CJ to build. I got the spare tub from him as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should note that the Tire carrier and bumper plans may get changed as the build happens. I am also looking at the Smittybilt SRC classic parts and just noticed that the SRC classic bumper with tire carrier seems to be close in price to the Highrock Tire carrier. That said I may just go the KISS rule on the jeep as well and run a stock front bumper with winch plate and bumperettes with the stock gate carrier for now anyway. Anyone know what is the max tire size i can safely run on the stock carrier without excessive wear on the gate or hinges?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Anyone know what is the max tire size i can safely run on the stock carrier without excessive wear on the gate or hinges?

P225/65r15

·
Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
So...basically nothing over stock really or just being sarcastic?
A little bit of both. One size larger might not be a issue for the tailgate or hinges, but will one size larger give you the traction you're looking for for your planned use. If you go with 31" tires and aftermarket wheels with a decent backspace, the weight of the tire/wheel assembly will wear the hinges and the offset won't allow the tire to contact the bumpers. Then the tire/wheel assembly will vibrate and crack the tailgate where the spare tire mount attaches to the gate.
Spend the dough if you go with larger tires and buy a bumper mounted spare carrier.
Another option if you don't plan on running a rear seat is to carry the spare in the cargo area.

If you make a trailer out of the balance of the donor Jeep, remember that the towing capacity of a stock Wrangler is 2000 pounds. The brakes on a YJ are marginal. Add to that larger tires and the brakes become less effective. Then add to that the weight of a trailer and you may exceed the safe operation ability of the tow vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I believe my YJ had a 31” spare hanging on the back when I bought it. I had to lift the tailgate while closing for it to latch. Definitely consider a bumper mounted tire carrier if you’re looking to go bigger than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little bit of both. One size larger might not be a issue for the tailgate or hinges, but will one size larger give you the traction you're looking for for your planned use. If you go with 31" tires and aftermarket wheels with a decent backspace, the weight of the tire/wheel assembly will wear the hinges and the offset won't allow the tire to contact the bumpers. Then the tire/wheel assembly will vibrate and crack the tailgate where the spare tire mount attaches to the gate.
Spend the dough if you go with larger tires and buy a bumper mounted spare carrier.
Another option if you don't plan on running a rear seat is to carry the spare in the cargo area.

If you make a trailer out of the balance of the donor Jeep, remember that the towing capacity of a stock Wrangler is 2000 pounds. The brakes on a YJ are marginal. Add to that larger tires and the brakes become less effective. Then add to that the weight of a trailer and you may exceed the safe operation ability of the tow vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

The Jeep currently has a mismatched set of 31s on it now. The plan i am kicking around currently is running the fairly new set of 31x10.5R15s that are currently on my GMC K5 Jimmy. Either that or the 33s that i will be buying from a buddy of mine in the spring. So i guess that said i am better off with the Highrock tire carrier or the SRB rear bumper with tire carrier. They are both fairly close in price so i might as well go full bumper.

As for the trailer idea. The initial plan was to use the entire tub. But now that you mention the weight limits would i be better off using the rear half of the tub only to save a bit of weight?

Another consideration is that i may eventually go to 6 lug axles on the Jeep so that may improve the braking situation a bit with the larger GM style brakes wouldn't it?

I believe my YJ had a 31” spare hanging on the back when I bought it. I had to lift the tailgate while closing for it to latch. Definitely consider a bumper mounted tire carrier if you’re looking to go bigger than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since there really is no edit function that i can see i guess i post again with this question. Will try to search in a bit though. What is the largest tire i could fit between the fender wells if i did decide to run my spare inside? I know the 31s will probably be fine but i may eventually upgrade to 33s at the most so if they would clear as well that would be ideal. Still at the stage of deciding if i am going to keep it two seater or put a rear seat back in. So now is the time to ask about this. If i do decide to keep it two seat there is nothing stopping me from fabbing up a mount that uses the rear seat and rear seat belt mounting points. As said if a 33" will fit between the wells then it means i will not need to change the tire carrier later when that upgrade occurs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your axle ratio should be on a tag on the differential cover.
From time to time, hackers won't put them back. The best and most certain way to check your ratio is to pull the differential cover and look for the numbers stamped on the outer rim of the ring gear. You'll want to change your differential fluid anyhow prior to putting your Jeep into regular service.
Check the ratio on both axles. If the front and rear axle ratios don't match exactly, you'll destroy your transfer case as soon as you release the clutch with the TC in 4X and the engine running.

Pic #1 is a 3:54 ratio from a 6 cyl, standard shift 1987 YJ.
Pic #2 is where to find the tag. Usually on the left side of the differential cover.
Pic #3 is a 4:10 ratio from a 4 cyl , standard shift 1993 YJ.

Your YJ should have the VIN in 3 places.
Place 1 is on the left side (drivers side) of the dash, visible through the windshield. This is the one that cops usually look at.
Place 2 is on a tag on the right (passenger) side of the firewall, by the battery. This has the paint code and other information.
Place 3 is on a similar tag on the left side of the firewall, near the brake booster.

I strongly suggest that you take all necessary measures to insure all three VINs match the VIN on the title. If you have two tubs and one title, make sure the tub you end up using wears the same VIN as what's on the title.
If the VIN on the title doesn't match the VIN on the dash, you're SOL. You have a parts Jeep. If the VIN on the dash doesn't match either plate on the firewall, I'd remove the firewall tag that doesn't match. If the VIN on the tub that you end up using doesn't match the VIN on the title, PM me. I might have a suggestion.

When I go to look at a vehicle that I'm interested in buying, I always ask to see the title before looking at the vehicle. No title to look at, I leave. If the title is available and clear, the very next thing I do is compare the VIN on the title to the VIN on the vehicle. If they match, then I'll proceed to check out the vehicle.
There are too many BS stories about "lost" titles or "I don't have it with me right now, it's at my girlfriends house". (The girlfriend actually owned the car and had a restraining order on the seller).

Keep us posted on your progress. You can start a thread in the YJ build forum and show us some pics of your Jeep now and as you make progress.

Good Luck, L.M.

As said in my MML thread. Thanks for the info on the gear ratio tags!

As for the vin situation. I do have a title that matches one of the vin numbers i have. This vin is the dash vin as well as the one marked on the driver door sticker. However the tab that the vin number is attached to was separated from the windshield frame at some stage prior to my ownership. I have the broken off tab just need to reattach it. What i should do is check this Vin against the two firewall plates. If they mismatch the best case scenario would be as suggested removing the two firewall plates.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It is a violation of federal law to swap vin tags from one vehicle to another and the vin being removed technically means that you do not have a jeep but rather jeep parts.... I would strongly suggest getting in touch with the highway patrol and getting it looked at to make sure it's not stolen before proceeding.... Then if it comes back clean, you can title it as an assembled or home built vehicle...
Folks do cheat on this fairly often but worst case scenario is prison time...

Ps it can be a crime to even posess those two vin tags and you have admitted to having them in a public forum....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a violation of federal law to swap vin tags from one vehicle to another and the vin being removed technically means that you do not have a jeep but rather jeep parts.... I would strongly suggest getting in touch with the highway patrol and getting it looked at to make sure it's not stolen before proceeding.... Then if it comes back clean, you can title it as an assembled or home built vehicle...
Folks do cheat on this fairly often but worst case scenario is prison time...

Ps it can be a crime to even posess those two vin tags and you have admitted to having them in a public forum....

I am going to where the Jeep is stored tomorrow possibly to start checking the various vins to match things up or figure out what goes to what. I will get the vin checked to see what its status is. Worse comes to worse it ends up a parts donor for another YJ or a CJ7.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i finally got a chance to take another look at the Jeep today to get a better idea as to what the heck i am working with. Part of this was checking the vin numbers. So it turns out all the tags do match. Plus i got a better understanding as to what the story is. Basically I only have the one matching set of numbers (Windshield/Firewall/Drivers door). And the second number was on a pinkslip for the parts jeep. So i do not actually have two vins like i initially thought. Plus i got a better look at the Jeep as a whole today.

It seems to have lift springs from two different manufactures on it. Roughly about the same height on them as it sits pretty close to level. So at worst i may have some 3" springs on the front and the BDS 3.5" springs on the rear. The transfercase skid plate has been dropped 1" Though i may need to redo that particular part as it was done with what appears to be long threaded nuts and hockey pucks. So i may just make new spacers from 2x2 tubing or 1" Solid stock. Other option would be ordering some 1" body lift pucks from ORD. The body lift is actually complete other then missing the bolt for the front grille.

So now it is a matter of giving it a good bumper to bumper inspection to figure what will need to be changed to get it through inspection.

So far the list i can see is as follows:

Shocks
Tires
Front bumper
Corner markers
Windshield
Rear sway bar links.

Repairs needed to make it drivable:
Radiator as i noticed there were some chunks out of the fins today when i was trying to sort out what was going on with it in relation to the body lift today.
Valve cover gasket as it appears to be leaking all over the manifold.

Going to be looking at the idea of running an electric fan in place of the mechanical fan. Plus sort out how i am mounting the rad as it is held in by Zipties at the moment. I know there probably should have been relocation brackets that came with the body lift. But of course those are no where to be found.

Here are some updated pics of the Jeep as it sits currently in my friends backyard.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The jeep is finally sitting in my backyard and i have gotten a chance to decode the vin. It is a '92 Base model. I have also taken a look under it to get a better idea as to what it needs for work under there.

This was the original list i noted:

Shocks
Tires
Front bumper
Corner markers
Windshield
Rear track bar reconnected

This is what i have noticed when i was under it yesterday to add to the above

Shock mounts on rear axle repaired as one is broken and bent back. Should probably put relocators on at the same time.
Exhaust from the cat back

Tires looked usable from a second glance. It turns out it has 3 Aurora RT02s and one Bridgestone Dueler Revo. More then likely i will still replace them for the inspection but at least i have them to use as spares.

I am not entirely too sure how accurate the Vin decode was in terms of gearing as it states it has 4:11s But also mentions a clutch when it is an automatic...so Not quite 100% sure on it there. I did look at the rear diff for a tag but all i could find was a warning tag mentioning to use limited slip fluid only. Which i would assume indicates that the Jeep has a Limited slip rear diff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Figured i would post some up to date pics even though not much has changed other then its location. I have been poking and prodding at it to figure out what it needs which were listed in the previous post. It looks like i will also need to make up some rad relocation brackets to properly mount the radiator. The more i look at it the more likely i am going to keep the existing rear bumper and just replace the actual reciever on it with a proper hitch made for a YJ that bolts between the chassis and bumper. More then likely will beef up the mounts on the bumper for a bit of piece of mind and decide if i am going to pick up a kit to convert it to a tire carrier type bumper or go with mounting my spare tire in the back seat area. I have seen where a stock tire mount has been used for that purpose before. Which is most likely the way i will go about it to ensure the tire is secure. Since i have a hard top i am quite likely going to end up making a Hi-lift jack mount from ubolts on the back of the cage to ensure that the jack stays secure as well. I have seen a couple set ups where Jeep owners have replaced the tire mount with a jerry can carrier instead and this is the route i will end up going as well to carry spare fuel with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts