Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im starting to feel more like a jeep owner i only know this cause this is my first vechicle where i car a full tool set in my glove compartment haha. welkl heres my project for today i just bought new distributer cap and everything needed the button cap and rotor. my question is how do i time it. i already took the old one out and dont want to mess it up by putting the new one in with out timing it thanks :confused:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,138 Posts
The timing won't be affected by replacing the distributor cap and rotor, just note how they were positioned and seat their replacements the same way. The computer controls the timing so even if you did loosen and rotate the distributor, the computer would just adjust the timing back to what it wants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i dont have the old one anymore i only have the new one so its safe to jsut put the new one in and match up the wires to the firing order right?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The computer controls the timing so even if you did loosen and rotate the distributor, the computer would just adjust the timing back to what it wants.
The computer has absolutely no control over which spark plug gets the spark. That is completely dependent on the physical position of the of the distributor/rotor. Since the timing is signal originates at the CPS, rotating the distributor willl not result in any "adjustment" of same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts