Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara, MetalCloak 3.5" Lift, Goodyear 33" Duratracks
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today. I received my 2 new Powerbuilt hydraulic jack stands. These are AWESOME and absolutely worth it. Anyway, my goal today was fix the parking break and check the breaks. I jacked my baby up, crawled under and quickly knocked out the parking break adjustment. Doing so confirmed my break shoes are in need of replacing because I adjusted it all the way to the stop. But I knew this anyway. So I go to take of the rear wheels to start the brake drum removal. I got the first locking lug off and went for the standard lugs.

Low and behold the :censored: :censored: :censored: Jeep factory lug wrench does not even fit into the lug holes on my American Racing wheels. All my tools are sitting in a storage unit 2500 miles away. Mom runs over from somewhere in the yard wondering what all the :censored: :censored: :censored: was all about. Right on queue she looks at me with that, "My daughter does not talk that way!" Actually she does, often. Especially working on my :censored::censored::censored: Jeep that I love so much.

She finished reprimanding me like I was 16, I'm 53, and walked off sliding in that final quip; "It's always going to be something with you, isn't it?"

And that is that. Now I have to buy yet another tool I already own AND fix mom dinner to make up for the sailor-speak. On her 77th birthday no less.

PS I found leaking seals in the rear axle. That's just :censored: great!

Reactions: tomhelzer

·
Super Moderator
12,720 Posts
You're lucky she didn't have a bar of soap handy.

I suggest getting a bag of inexpensive tools just to have handy for instances like this. You'll probably use them more for other projects than you might guess. Harbor freight hand tools have a lifetime warranty. While you're gathering tools, don't forger a rear axle seal tool.

Good luck, L.M.

Reactions: Nixx

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Look at this as a blessing in disguise. If you had a flat tire out alone on some deserted road you would have been stuck! Now you have an opportunity to acquire the tools you need. By the way.... my mom wouldn’t even noticed that you sweared. Not sure what’s worse?!? Haha...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@RichL35 you make a REALLY good point. I have gone literally about 5000 miles off-road and never even realized the lug wrench did not fit the wheel holes to the lugs. I have been incredibly lucky. I've punctured a tire once on the trail, but it was such a slow leak I did not notice until I was back on the highway home.

The most concerning incident was deep in the desert of Baja Mexico and I got a nasty puncture that flattened out the tire in a few minutes. I was about 75 miles from the closest anything. Lucky for me I had a can of Fix-a-Flat I carry to help other drivers in need still tucked in my cargo box. It saved my butt. It was late in the day and I was in no position to unload the entire Jeep to change a tire. So I used the can. I limped to a dusty crossroad along the Baja 1000 route in the middle of nowhere, literally. The tire was nearly flat again. There was a tire repair shack. And nothing else. The two guys patched the tire in about 20 minutes.

It was the first time I had ever seen someone remount a tire and inflate it using gasoline and a match. FREAKING CRAZY! But it saved our trip and got us back home after 1000+ miles through the deserts and hills of Baja.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools are EXTREMELY Cheap and very serviceable for this situation! You may wnat to let mom know this. JAT

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Low and behold the :censored: :censored: :censored: Jeep factory lug wrench does not even fit into the lug holes on my American Racing wheels. All my tools are sitting in a storage unit 2500 miles away. Mom runs over from somewhere in the yard wondering what all the :censored: :censored: :censored: was all about. Right on queue she looks at me with that, "My daughter does not talk that way!" Actually she does, often. Especially working on my :censored::censored::censored: Jeep that I love so much.
I'm guessing you're a former sailor, construction worker or just released female inmate with all the :censored::censored:. On a positive note, you have 2 awesome new Powerbuilt hydraulic jack stands and you know exactly where you left your tools. :blackeye

p.s. I can drop you off some tools on my way to the Williamsburg Pottery Factory.:)

Reactions: TJMAXX and Nixx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@TheBoogieman
Sailor... CHECK,
Construction... CHECK,
Prison... I'm a good girl, mostly :)

And thank you for the very kind offer. I have been able to borrow most of what I do not want to re-purchase.
Cheers!

Reactions: TJMAXX
1 - 9 of 9 Posts