Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to go to a Ford 8.8 to replace the light duty Dana 35. Wish I would have done this when I re-reared to 4:10's it would have been cheaper. I think I have read about every post there is on the Ford 8.8 and the Dana 44 and they seem to be pretty egual. Either way I have to buy the bracket kit to weld on. I found an 8.8 at the local boneyard from a 96 Expedition for $300.00 and it has 4;10 in it already. Not sure if it is a posi unit yet but will find out when I pick it up. I ordered a bracket kit from MORE and it should be on the way. I looked at all the other bracket kits out there that I could find and they all cost about the same. Opinions on which was the best seem to go both ways. The 8.8 comes with disc brakes so that will be nice. I started to get everything set up in the garage to get this done when all parts are in and discovered one leg on my welder must be burned out. Very low amperage at the stick. Oh well guess I get to get a new welder too. Now I have to figure out what locker to put in the front seems the spider gears kind of exploded when the rear axle snapped. I need it to be drivable due to it being a dailey driver. Any ideas, its a 99 TJ 4.0 auto with 4:10's.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
It really depends on your budget, but considering you DD your rig and you live in Michigan I'd say something like an ARB/OX/Eaton would be a front locker you'd want to look into.

Sounds like you have a nice project on your hands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in the process of building a HP D30 and I wanted the same thing as you as far as drivability. I am going with a Detroit Tru-Trac. Under $500 and it is a limited slip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts