Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It always turns heads when I show up for a club run. Most are driving the new JKs and we have a few TJs show up. There are two of us running YJs one that is built 6" lift and currie axles its badass and then mine mildly built with a stock 4 banger. They are classics and I enjoy my YJ we are a lot alike old and slow. We get a long great on the trails but if there is a distance to get to the run I usually head out early I don't have a cruise control and 65 is something that happens now and then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The personal YJ because it runs like h#ll, loves to get dirty and never lets me down plus it never complains when I ignore it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
BUMP.

Because they're the last true Jeeps before Chrysler took over. A YJ is simply a re-badged AMC.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have never been a 'Jeep Guy' but have always said if I were to get a cj/wrangler style jeep I would want a YJ. Reason being they are the least mainstream of all of them. I don't like being one of the 'in crowd.' I also like how simple they are. I enjoy working on my own stuff, and my yj is definitely fun to wrench on because it is so simple. I have said it before, now that I have one I want another one, I see why they are so popular.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tj is for little boys and the jk stands for just kidding.
:lmao: So I'm not the only one who thinks JK stands for Just Kidding.

"Oh that's a sweet 4 door, hardtop, sun-roofed, a/t, electric windowed, Jeep... JUST KIDDING!"

I like them all from TJ's on back with everything manual and minimal electronics. Never been a fan of the JK's... they are soccer mom mobiles. Just about everyone I know that has one has it in auto cuz they can't drive stick lol.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
I've worked on a lot of vehicles over the years, and my YJ is by far the easiest one to work on. Everything is easy to get to and put together in a simple manner. No crazy engineering designed to make it impossible to do it yourself - Saving thousands in labor charges.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My yj kind of fell into my hands. My brother in law bought it for his sons (from a dealer, way overpriced). They drove it for a few years. He wanted to sell it for close to what he paid, I balked. A year later he still had it. I drove if for a week, checked it out with a neighbor, and put together a list of work it needed (completely honest, nothing but safety and reliability items). Made him an offer, he countered, and I bought it. Got it for $2500 knowing it needed another $1800 or so of work. It's been really easy to work on, readily available and inexpensive parts. Only issues have been dealing with rusted fasteners, dicey wiring,etc. The only thing I wish it had was a six cylinder engine, has the 2.5 squirrel engine. It was a real diamond in the rough. I've had it for less than six months, but the obsession has me firmly in its grasp. I'm teaching my son while I work on it, since he'll be driving it sooner than later. It's been a good bonding experience for us. I like the fact that's is still a "real" jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cross shopped TJs YJs and JKs. I almost bought a JK but then I test drove a YJ and it just fit. Went and drove a TJ after that and it felt similar, but I hated the interior and it was a bit soft. I love that the YJ was so cheap that I'm not too concerned with treating it like a rented mule. I like that when stuff breaks it's not a warranty fixing it, it is me. It's slow and uncomfortable and I love it. I replaced a 2013 WRX with my 1995 BASE YJ (no power steering) and I regret nothing.

A friend with a CJ and a JK advised the YJ would be too hard for daily driving...I've been doing just fine. Today we went to an off road park that was 50 minutes out of town...I kept up with his JK on the highway and in the park. Great purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They are rugged, simple, capable vehicles. Everthing a Jeep should be. Not a glitsy luxurious comfortable vehicle. Its bad A**!

·
Supporting Member
2,831 Posts
They are rugged, simple, capable vehicles. Everthing a Jeep should be. Not a glitsy luxurious comfortable vehicle. Its bad A**!
Well stated, I've owned quite a few Jeeps and I keep going back to the square headlighted rigs IMO YJs are the best when it comes to the SWB rigs and XJ's are great lwb rigs. Both are cheap dependable and simple.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's rugged, like a Jeep should be. Nice enough to enjoy it, simple enough that the possibilities are endless. I'm so lucky to have one as a high schooler. Never planning on getting rid of it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
because a FJ40 was way out of my price range , I owned a 1979 FJ40 , and kick my self for selling it , the YJ is the closest I will ever be to owning another one , no regrets on buying one , its a lot of fun

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cause they are cool! Even the "square haters" think so deep down. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally, I wanted a TJ. After owning my YJ for a year, I'm so glad I went with it. Simple to work on, capable, fun, cheap, great looking interior (not the faux JCG interior of the TJ) and way more rugged looking with the square headlights!

·
Registered
247 Posts
What the above jeeper said. Simple and looks rugged. Last of the "hard core" from the factory jeeps in my opinion. Rough riding, no air bags, very few with a/c. Very few comforts but for the true enthusiasts it is every bit a jeep. Even with square lights. Plus I like ignoring jeep waves from stock jk owners.

21 - 40 of 192 Posts