Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Scout II flipping through the channels so I had to stop.
Its Fantomworks

http://fantomworks.com/project/1974-international-scout-ii/

"This Scout has a pretty bad death wobble so were gonna put a new steering stabilizer on it, that'll fix it":jawdrop::appl::appl:

That is a quote from a TV mechanic, the wording may not be exact but that's what was said...

I should be on TV, it'd be the Einstein of auto mechanics

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I have never experienced death wobble on any jeep and some of the jeeps i have owned have had sloppy front ends. Friends of mine with jeeps have had it though one was a completely stock low mileage WJ and a new steering stabilizer fixed it. I think a friend that had a TJ fixed his that way too but it was so long ago it's fuzzy. I dont even run a steering stabilizer on my YJ running 35's.

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
You can cover up DW with a new SS. But you can't "fix" it with one.

I saw that episode of Fantom Works. And I laughed at them as well. They may know a lot about classic cars, but they don't know much about 4x4's. They have poorly done a few. I don'y know why anyone would take a 4x4 to them to fix up.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
You can cover up DW with a new SS. But you can't "fix" it with one.

I saw that episode of Fantom Works. And I laughed at them as well. They may know a lot about classic cars, but they don't know much about 4x4's. They have poorly done a few. I don'y know why anyone would take a 4x4 to them to fix up.
probably just to get on TV for their 5 minutes of fame.

Reactions: jethro65

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
To be fair, there are people on TV saying that aliens have visited us, that the earth is flat, high fructose corn syrup isn't bad for you, etc.

So when I hear someone on TV saying something it's almost a confirmation that it's wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
It was in the script.

I think the TV script taking too much control over his shop was the reason Dan pulled the plug on the show. That or he did not like the change over to the MT channel.

As far as I can see, the Scout II had leaf springs F&R which means it most likely could not have DW. So many people hear the term and when they encounter a typical shimmy from a tire that needs to be balanced properly, that's the first thing they think of.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
It was in the script.

I think the TV script taking too much control over his shop was the reason Dan pulled the plug on the show. That or he did not like the change over to the MT channel.

As far as I can see, the Scout II had leaf springs F&R which means it most likely could not have DW. So many people hear the term and when they encounter a typical shimmy from a tire that needs to be balanced properly, that's the first thing they think of.
pretty sure any solid Axle vehicle can have DW. any time front tires are connected by a tubular assemble it can happen.
watch the end of the video.

Reactions: Muffin Top

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
First - the term DW, which I never heard until the late '90s refers to an oscillation of the front axle. While it can occur in a vehicle with leaf springs and a solid axle, on such a vehicle it is even more rare than on one with coil springs on the solid axle. Which is why I used the term "most likely".

If it does occur, it will share some of the same issues as on a vehicle with coil springs. Ie: loose or worn front suspension parts. A vibration or shimmy that is speed sensitive no matter how violent is NOT DW. Those are almost always tire/wheel issues.

If the owner had used a spring over lift or a long shackle lift in the front and did not get the bolts torqued properly he could experience DW. If the front suspension is worn or has some bolts on the hangers or U bolts that are worn and have some looseness, then DW is possible. If they have put enough of a lift to upset the caster, than can cause it as well. There is a video on YouTube about DW in a Ford F250 SuperDuty and the issue was the caster. The presenter in the video used the example of a shopping cart in WalMart with a bent shaft so the front wheel vibrates back and forth. That is in effect DW from caster out of spec.

About 18 months ago, I hit a pot hole with my TJ. Didn't think too much of it until I got up to speed and had a violent shaking at 55 about as bad as what that video showed. I knew it was not DW, I simply slowed back down below 50 and the shaking went away. I took it in to my tire dealer the next day and they rebalanced all four tires and the right front one (the one that hit the pot hole) was missing some of the stick on weights (glue residue). No more shimmy at 55, no more vibration.

In the video you don't see him slow down, he just comes to a stop. Now if he started back up, got back up to the speed and then had the shake reoccur, we would know for sure what he had.

I have had 6 Jeep vehicles, 4 with coil front suspension and 2 YJs with leaf springs. I have yet to encounter DW. Shimmys from tires, yes. Two of Jeeps with coils have or had in excess of 90,000 miles.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,871 Posts
He may have puled the plug on the show (or had it pulled) becasue it was as entertaining as watching paint dry. Second least favorite car show on Velocity/MotorTrend.

First is the French Canadian shop. Whoever thought putting eastern canadians on TV for entertainment must have a head injury.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I enjoyed both to an extent. I enjoyed Fantom Works because of how they did their work. They also pointed out the priorities if there were budget pinches - brakes and tires first, then suspension then engine and drive train and then last the body restoration. Was it as exciting as a multi police unit chase at high speed on LivePD? No. One show I really enjoyed was the one with the YJ that was just a mess. Maybe because I remember seeing many of the cars he worked on as being on new car sales lots.

I also enjoyed the Canadian show, but would have liked it much better if they had left out all the non-shop business about the owner, hi buddy, and the car auctions.

What ever the reason for ending Fantom Works run (they still show some previous episodes on MT channel) I hardly ever watch the MT channel any more.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,871 Posts
I am a big fan of Bitchin' Rides... Kindigit Designs on MT. I have seen a few of his builds and the craftsmanship is far superior to anything else I have ever seen. Most of his clients dont drive their cars much if at all. More an investment in the art and craftsmanship, but he does things no one else has thought of before. Anyone who can do this with all of the fine detail and the engine cutaway is next level amazing.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts