Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All-

I purchased my Jeep in January. Solar yellow 2001 TJ sport. The day I got it I decked it out with a matching seat and steering wheel cover, surfboard air fresheners, jangly dangly things and such, really made it mine- I even hand painted a spare tire cover with the image from "The Endless Summer" movie poster. It was love at first ride! This Jeep was the first thing that went right for me in a long time. (My previous car, which I loved, curtailed on the way home one day, when the driver's side wheel just fell right off) I adore the beast, but I think I got ripped off, which is only my fault, due to lack of knowledge. I knew there would be some little repairs here and there, which I looked forward to, but not immediately. Within a week of ownership, the check engine light came on- it has yet to turn off. Apparently it is due to my after market gas cap. No biggie, right? I ran diagnostics, to turn the check engine light off, but that no longer works- it can't be reset. Added bonus, now diagnostics cannot be run UNLESS the car is running (you know, the exact opposite of how it is supposed to be done.) That's annoying, but just a light. Speaking of lights- by week three of ownership, my passenger side head light went out, so I replaced it... but that didn't fix anything- because the wiring is bad. When the headlights are off, I just don't have a right front turn signal. When the headlights are on, I don't have a turn signal, but the dash indicator for the signal is permanently lit, which causes a very loud beeping to engage periodically, while driving, which can only be remedied by engaging the left turn signal. A great system, haha. The dealership also didn't bother to do an alignment before selling the vehicle, so now I have a very bald tire, a bad wobble at 55mph, and a fierce pull to the right, to compliment my lack of signal and dashboard serenade.

I have a feeling, by now, you are saying "well fix it" and I would love to, I have watched all the YouTube videos and I am ready, but I cannot afford any of this. I owe $4500 on the loan, just to start. The car only cost $6500, but to me that is a TON of money. I work, full time, but I am still broke after rent, bills and attempting to get a leg up on the 17% interest on the car loan. The vehicle is also my work vehicle, for both of my jobs and the only car between my boyfriend and I. (We live together and luckily close enough to base that he can walk to work. Military, so he ain't rich either)

Our lease ends at Halloween, so we have just about 5 months to get the Jeep tip-top. We are currently in the process of gutting and building our mini-home on wheels, out of the 98' Thomas school bus we purchased in May. Most of our extra cash was dedicated to saving up for that and now is going into the work it entails. (Not to mention to the $200 in parking tickets we have already accrued because of commercial vehicle regulations! Yay apartments.) You may want to say I am a victim of my own poor planning, but this is quite the opposite as we felt the Jeep would be the best long-term choice for a vagabond lifestyle. Unfortunately, that puts me in a tough spot of having to pay off the vehicle in only 5 months, while fighting this up-hill financial battle. In hopes of expediting the income flow, I have been listing my hard top for sale, but I have only got as far as people asking "is it still available" and never responding after I reply. It has seen some summer sun, so I purchased paint to ensure it looks super fresh for whomever buys it, but it seems no one will. Is it just the wrong season? Any ideas?

If you have hung on with me this far, thanks. I'm sure you can tell, by now that I really just want to bend an ear with this nonsense. Everyone has their own hardships, I am by no means complaining, and I hope you caught on to my humorous disposition to the situation, as a whole. I have come to the point, on a few occasions now, where I am attempting to make the teary-eyed decision to give up the Jeep, that I have only owned for 6 months, simply because it is developing issues faster than I can afford to piece it back together. I love this car, and I want to be able to keep it. I want to put big nasty tires on it and scramble all over the deserts of the South West, I want to keep waving at other drivers. As stated, I am working, I make money, but life costs money in America, so it is no where near enough.

Thank you again for taking the time to read a rant from some chick with a bright yellow. You are a part of a really kind community, whodda thunk cars could promote camaraderie?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sometimes people get a vehicle that wasn't properly maintained or ote ither herwise has a lot of problens and it all hits the fan at once. You would take a beating selling it as it is now, most likely. I would say you should have a trusted mechanic look it over and tell you if it can be fixed for a reasonable amount and if there are other problems of which you are not aware that would render it not worth putting money into. If it is not a "train wreck" pick your problems and get them repaired as you can afford to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts